You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-25 15:34:08

Leye

Getting white screen with Compiz-Fusion (Intel-driver)

Hi,

since I've reinstalled Archlinux, I have a problem with Compiz that I hadn't had the last time. I've installed Archlinux following the Wiki's Beginner-Guide, with the exception that I used xorg and xf86-video-intel from the Testing-repository; I always have to use the ones from Testing because of an error that I posted some time ago, however, it is solved by using the xorg and the intel-driver from Testing. I'm not sure--and this might add insult to the problem--whether I had also used libgl and mesa from Testing-repository.

Last time, I first made a xorg.conf with "Xorg -configure", installed compiz-fusion-gtk and everything worked fine from the beginning. After the reinstallation, when I run Fusion-Icon now, I only get a white screen. I can use the mouse and I think the whole GUI is "usable", but everything is hidden under a white screen.

I've read something about the white screen in the Compiz-Fusion-Wiki, but there's only a solution for nVidia. The strange thing is, though, that Compiz-Fusion worked immediately last time. I'm not sure whether this makes a difference, however last time I still had GNOME 2.22 with Compiz-Fusion, but it also worked after upgrading to GNOME 2.24. Now, with the new GNOME 2.24 installed, I suddenly get this strange error.

My laptop has an Intel Extreme 965 Express Chip and I use the intel-driver. I use the basic xorg.conf-file made by "Xorg -configure", and I'll post it when I have the chance to, because I'm not at my Arch-Box right now.

Perhaps it's because xorg and libgl and mesa don't work together; as I said before, I'm not sure whether I installed everything from Testing or just xorg and the intel-driver. I hope someone has an idea about what to do.

Besides that, I hope I can post another question here: Since I have an Intel 64-Bit-processor, I'm planning to switch to Arch 64. Some applications I use are from the Community-Repository (Jokosher) and another one is to be built with ABS (Songbird). Do I have to change something with Arch 64 to install the applications or do I get the 64-builds automatically?

Thanks for the patience, I hope someone can answer my questions.

#2 2008-10-25 21:23:43

dav7

Re: Getting white screen with Compiz-Fusion (Intel-driver)

I can't really help you with the CF issue, since I mostly get white screens, faily/choppy output or similar with that sort of thing (I have a really slow chipset).

However, I can shed some light on the side question you posted:

Besides that, I hope I can post another question here: Since I have an Intel 64-Bit-processor, I'm planning to switch to Arch 64. Some applications I use are from the Community-Repository (Jokosher) and another one is to be built with ABS (Songbird). Do I have to change something with Arch 64 to install the applications or do I get the 64-builds automatically?

As long as Jokosher is in the x86_64 repo, it should be fine, and provided Songbird was written with a 64-bit CPU in mind, it should compile fine since Arch's copies of gcc target the CPU they were built for (so i686 targets i686, x86_64 targets x86_64, etc). If you have any doubts just ask around here and there; the best and fastest starting point would probably be IRC on irc.mozilla.org.

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-10-25 21:24:32)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-10-25 21:40:38

Leye

Hi dav7, thank you for your reply. When I start to switch to 64-Bit, I'll keep that in mind.

However, there still is the problem with the white screen. I've already tried lots of advise in the Wiki, but nothing has helped yet. There is a problem similiar to mine in the Troubleshooting-page of Compiz (the one with missing GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmaps), but the solution doesn't work for me.

This is so strange, last time everything worked without any configuration at all ...

#4 2008-10-26 15:27:22

nurbl

I've got the exact same problem after updating my testing xorg stuff the other day. Nothing else was changed afaik. This is on an eee 901 (945GME I think).

#5 2008-10-27 10:59:55

Leye

I also use Xorg from Testing, perhaps it has been updated which has triggered the error (though I'm not sure about that). Unfortunately, I have to use Xorg from Testing or at least xf86-video-intel from Testing or I'll get another error. It is possible to use the bleeding edge intel-driver with the stable Xorg-server? Perhaps this might solve the problem.

What video-driver do you use, nurbl?

#6 2008-10-29 09:42:02

nurbl

testing/xf86-video-intel, but then I use xorg-server from testing too.

#7 2008-10-29 11:01:02

Leye

Same here! In the past, I also used xorg and the intel-driver from Testing, and everything worked like a charm. I wonder if everything has been changed, such as a new version or something like that.

Nurbl, your Compiz-Fusion also worked before updating Xorg?

#8 2008-10-29 11:19:06

Shapeshifter

How are you starting CF, Leye? I have a GMA945 and it's working perfectly fine all the time. I start it with some more options though:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true compiz --replace --sm-disable ccp &

and I'm using the normal driver and xorg (not testing):
extra/xf86-video-intel 2.3.2-1
extra/intel-dri 7.0.3-1
extra/xorg-server 1.4.2-2

why would you want to run testing xorg and drivers anyway?

Last edited by Shapeshifter (2008-10-29 11:21:29)

#9 2008-10-29 18:42:45

Leye

I already tried to start Compiz with the line you posted, Shapeshifter, but the white screen still shows up. Perhaps it's because I have the newer GMA 965.

On your question about why I use Xorg from Testing: If I don't, no icons and fonts are displayed in GNOME (really!). Using xorg and xf86-intel-driver from Testing solved it, but I wonder if there's another solution.

#10 2008-10-30 10:02:59

Shapeshifter

Oh, the GMA965... yeah, that one has crap drivers. I think it's actually blacklisted for compiz-fusion. A friend has the same chip and the line I posted works for him but he gets around 5-10fps on the benchmark I think he has stable X though. I myself (GMA945) got 25-80, avarage 60. It has something to do with the drivers not supporting direct rendering with compiz if I remember it right.

you could try out all the below stuff:

- make sure you've got extra/libgl 7.0.3-2 installed as well (I guess you should, I think it's a dependency)
- make sure you have <Option  "DRI"   "true"> in your <Section "Device"> in xorg.conf

#11 2008-10-30 12:03:46

Leye

Thanks for your advice, but to be honest, I've already configured Xorg in the way you mentioned. What makes me wonder the most is the fact that I didn't have to configure anything at all when I first used Compiz-Fusion with my GMA 965, back in time with the older kernel, GNOME 2.22 and (I think) an older Xorg.

However, I still try to make it work; today I'll search for some infos on the intel-driver for the 965.

By the way, although the fact that Compiz-Fusion had worked, means that my card wasn't blacklisted, but in case it is now, how could I unblacklist it?

EDIT
Oh, may I ask whether your friend, Shapeshifter, also uses Archlinux?

Last edited by Leye (2008-10-30 12:05:03)

#12 2008-10-30 12:15:57

Shapeshifter

Yeah he's using Arch as well. He's not around, if I get the chance and don't forget it, I'll ask him if he's using unstable.

The GMA965 is blacklisted.
"Ignoring the blacklist": http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Hardware/Blacklist

It's also saying something about EXA (a more recent rendering method). That would be <Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"'> in your <"Device"> Section. You could try that.

By the way, this is what fusiobot from #compiz-fusion has to say about EXA:

<        FusioBot > EXA will give a noticeable speed boost when using X server 
                     1.5.0 (or recent versions from git) and the open source 
                     intel/ati drivers.  Otherwise, you should stick with XAA.

Last edited by Shapeshifter (2008-10-30 12:19:08)

#13 2008-11-03 15:51:31

Leye

Okay, I'll try changing to exa. But as for now, perhaps it might help if I post my xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    Option    "AIGLX"    "true"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ColorKey"               # <i>
        #Option     "CacheLines"             # <i>
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DRI"                    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"           # <i>
        #Option     "PageFlip"               # [<bool>]
    Option    "DRI"    "true"
    #Option    "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"    "true"
    Option    "NoDDC"    "True"
    Option    "EnablePageFlip"    "True"
    Option    "RenderAccel"    "True"
    Option    "AccelMethod"    "xaa"
    Option    "MigrationHeuristic"    "greedy"
    Option    "ExaNoComposite"    "false"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "intel"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
        Modes    "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option    "Composite"    "Enable"
EndSection

Section    "DRI"
    Mode    0666
EndSection

I've added some lines which I think weren't necessary, but I've been trying alot to get it work.

I've installed these packages with the following versions:
intel-dri: 7.2-1
libdrm: 2.4.0-1
libgl: 7.2-1
mesa: 7.2-1
xf86-video-intel: 2.5.0-1
xorg-server: 1.5.2-3

Starting with SKIP_CHECK=yes, as the Compiz-Wiki suggests, doesn't help. As I said before, I'm not sure whether my card is really blacklisted, since it had worked for some time. Here's what lscpi says:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

While the PCI-IDs in the Compiz-Wiki are different.

#14 2008-11-09 10:56:46

Leye

Looks like this is going to be tough. I've compared the xorg.conf with the one of an Ubuntu-installation. The versions of xorg-server xf86-video-intel and so on are the same, and everything works like a charm. My card isn't blacklisted, X doesn't have any problems.

However, when I reinstalled Archlinux yesterday and today, Xorg freezes when I use the xorg.conf created by X -configure. I can't move the mouse, keyboard input doesn't work, thus, I cannon kill it with Ctrl + Alt + Back. The Fn-Keys work, for instance, I can put my box to sleep, but every other keys don't.

I fear I have to wait for a new Archlinux-snapshot and a new xorg-server to use my favorite Linux-distro again. Never mind, I was very happy with Archlinux, and I'm looking forward to using it again!

#15 2008-11-13 00:28:48

nurbl

I just upgraded and now the testing driver works with compiz here. It seems like it's slower than I remember the stable one being though. I may have messed up my xorg config since then though smile

#16 2008-11-13 10:05:10

Leye

Hello nurbl!

I'm happy to hear that from you. I'll reinstall Archlinux as soon as I can, and share what I'll experience. Thanks for you hint!

EDIT
Still a question regarding my experience with xorg-server: I fear that the input won't work if I test it again, I wonder if there's a possibility to set a testing Xorg-environment up that I can kill whenever I have to. Anyone has an idea?

Last edited by Leye (2008-11-13 10:07:04)

#17 2008-11-14 00:23:05

nurbl

Hi leye,

that sounds like a very strange problem... I had no problems at all with the stable intel driver, so I have no idea what your problem might be. The only suggestion I have for you is that you install sshd, and ssh to your computer from somewhere else to kill the X server. That's what I do then something like that happens smile

#18 2008-11-14 18:48:57

Leye

Splendid! big_smile

I'm happy to say that Xorg and Compiz-Fusion work again. I'm using Xorg and -Intel of Testing, though, but at least I can use Archlinux again.

However, there are some new problems that have come up, but since the issue of this thread is solved, I'll open a new one.

Thanks nurbl, Shapeshifter!

Board footer