You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-25 16:19:05

FrozenFox
Website

KDE4: Konqueror: No copy, paste, etc?

Edit: .. what in the hell is going on? It seemed to be fixed for some bizarre reason after installing konq-plugins.. Then randomly goes away again. Then comes back again. Removing konq-plugins doesn't reproduce it back to it's original no-cut-or-paste state.

Hey guys,

This is probably a simple problem, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I have just about no hair left on my head from switching over to this (again..).

Simply, the copy/paste/etc functions are greyed out on -anything- in konqueror. Everything. However, it has a menu "Copy to.." that appears to work fine..

Btw, they appear to work fine in dolphin, but I very much dislike dolphin.

Wtf?

Ideas?

Last edited by FrozenFox (2008-10-25 17:10:42)

#2 2008-10-25 16:55:39

deltaecho

Re: KDE4: Konqueror: No copy, paste, etc?

I would suggest filing a bug report - if you haven't done so already - or reinstalling kdebase.  They seem to work fine on my PC.

Out of curiosity, what's so bad about Dolphin?  It's developed by the same people who develop Konqueror, and has the option of opening multiple, Konqueror-style tabs and splitting the current view (but only into 2 windows - which is all most people need).  Beginning with 4.2, Ark's service menus will also be included, so people will be able to easily (un)archive/copy/cut/move/delete/etc. files.

Dylon

#3 2008-10-25 17:29:23

FrozenFox
Website

deltaecho wrote:

I would suggest filing a bug report - if you haven't done so already - or reinstalling kdebase.  They seem to work fine on my PC.

Out of curiosity, what's so bad about Dolphin?  It's developed by the same people who develop Konqueror, and has the option of opening multiple, Konqueror-style tabs and splitting the current view (but only into 2 windows - which is all most people need).  Beginning with 4.2, Ark's service menus will also be included, so people will be able to easily (un)archive/copy/cut/move/delete/etc. files.

* I do not use split view on anything, because for me it's extremely counterproductive to have half as much space to see what I'm doing and where I'm going than just open the two destinations in separate tabs/windows and mess with more scrolling and go around my mental map of the folder layout. The way I am, it actually takes more time, not less, to use.

* It is no where remotely close to as configurable as konqueror

* I can't get the layout to be like I've used for years. Kind of close, but no cigar:
    There is no apparent way to put a location bar (which I want to be the usual editable kind as opposed to only editable when you click next to it -- -always-.) into the same bar as the back/fwd etc. I can only have a separate, space-wasting navigation bar. I don't see 'location' anywhere in the toolbar options, or a way to get rid of the navigation bar. I need to do both. I dont see a point in wasting so much space to the right of both the main icons and the location bar when you could combine them.

* I don't understand the point of yet another file browser when konqueror beats it hands down and is essentially loaded into the system whether or not it's used on my setup.

* Dolphin is not a web browser, which I used konqueror for occasionally.

* I don't think most of my service menus work with it. Though this I have not determined for sure, because of the above.

I could probably think of more, but these are the most obvious reasons. I just don't like it. It feels like a nerfed nautilus to me.

.... but in other news, Dolphin solved a bug I was having in konqueror somehow that I was about to post. Basically, the icons were huge. When I would resize them and their previews in the config utility, it would work, but then reset itself upon re-launching konqueror.  I used the identical utility in dolphin to change its icon sizes, and magically they are working correctly in konqueror now on every launch. Weird. Maybe loading dolphin to check whether copy/paste works there also fixed copy/paste in konq somehow, as it just did with these icons, and installing konq-plugins was just a coincidence at the same time. Within these few minutes that the icons did not save size settings, I have done nothing but play with dolphin and install konq-plugins. Very bizarre.

Kde4 is so buggy.. =/ I'd post bug reports on these things, but it doesn't do much good when I can't reproduce the problem or have certainty about what solved the issue in the first place.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2008-10-25 17:43:12)

#4 2008-10-25 17:38:54

deltaecho

Those are good reasons; if you want a location bar, just press Ctrl+L - you can also open the Tools -> Settings dialog and check the "Editable location bar" box in the "Startup" tab.

I'm personally a fan of having separate File/Web browsers, but Konqueror's filebrowser capabilities aren't going anywhere soon because there are still many people who prefer it over, say, Dolphin smile

Last edited by deltaecho (2008-10-25 17:40:41)

Dylon

#5 2008-10-25 17:48:05

FrozenFox
Website

deltaecho wrote:

Those are good reasons; if you want a location bar, just press Ctrl+L - you can also open the Tools -> Settings dialog and check the "Editable location bar" box in the "Startup" tab.

I'm personally a fan of having separate File/Web browsers, but Konqueror's filebrowser capabilities aren't going anywhere soon because there are still many people who prefer it over, say, Dolphin smile

Ah, I missed the permanent setting in the config. Though it still doesn't solve the problem of the location bar and main icons bar being separate and using up a lot of unnecessary space. Perhaps in a future release.

I generally don't use konqueror for web browsing, but sometimes it's far more convenient to just open it in fast-loading konqueror/webkit than wait for firefox to load. It's also good to have as an easily accessible backup in case firefox/gecko seems to be having problems, in addition to checking whether or not X page is compatible / working correctly with Y engine.

I like the fact that it can load up so amazingly fast, and yet still have all sorts of capabilities. Web and file mgmt in one utility is very useful to myself occasionally, and perfect for friends for whom i have installed arch.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2008-10-25 17:49:26)

Board footer