You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-22 01:21:43

dp
Website

S1 or S3 ("standby" or "mem") with ACPI

standby is a very practical but hardly used thing on my laptop - unfortunately i had to find out, that it has some strange behaviour

i'm using a standard arch installation with udev, kernel26 - uptodate

trouble:

[root@/sys/power/]# echo -n "standby" > state

makes the screen only to blink once, but no standby is made

[root@/sys/power/]# echo -n "mem" > state

goes to standby (suspend to mem) correctly, but after resuming, no network, no usb, no sound works any more (lsmod shows all modules still loaded correctly, but no module-dependend hardware works any more)

what's causing this? why? anyone has arch on a laptop with working standby function? is it only me?

thanx in advance

PS
i do not mean hibernating in any way

PPS
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/sleep.html for more info, if you need them

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2004-07-22 01:31:32

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: S1 or S3 ("standby" or "mem") with ACPI

Each laptop is supported differently.  For example, my laptop won't suspend, but will hibernate... but then won't come back on, unless I take out the battery.  If I do take out the battery, then put it back in, it'll boot up, without X or anything else that's kind of important.

2.6 is supposed to have a lot better support for suspension than 2.4... that may be the case, but it still doesn't work for me.

I'm pretty sure that standby isn't supported at all.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-07-22 02:28:17

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:

Each laptop is supported differently.  For example, my laptop won't suspend, but will hibernate... but then won't come back on, unless I take out the battery.  If I do take out the battery, then put it back in, it'll boot up, without X or anything else that's kind of important.

2.6 is supposed to have a lot better support for suspension than 2.4... that may be the case, but it still doesn't work for me.

I'm pretty sure that standby isn't supported at all.

ohh ... you need to remove the battery? wow, that's really "not supported"
so you cannot at all go to S1 or S3? - that's really strange

it worked (S3) on an earlier 2.6 kernel for me fully (cannot remember the config in detail - it was with one of the early 2.6 kernels using SuSE 7.1) - since then, i didnt really used it, and also never tried it on arch too

the S1 i never tried on SuSE, because i was never interested in saving only "a little" energy, and S3 is deeper sleep than S1 :-)

the thing is, that it works fine (i mean the S3), but it kills all modules, and i have to reboot to bring them back (playing with rmmod/modprobe has no effect on the working of the modules - they load and get removed, but the hardware simply does not work) :-( - so i'm wondering if this special thing with the modules is maybe arch-related or not (because nowhere on the internet i found anything about acpi that concerned all modules - often some special, but never all)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-07-22 03:03:56

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah, if I just hit the button, the light comes on like it's going to do something and it just sits there.

About the module thing.  Are your modules just for... well... hardware?  Most hardware is turned off when you go into suspend mode and not reinitialized to the state it was in before the suspend.  That could be your problem.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer