You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-25 19:54:36

theapodan

Slackware user - Arch install process and package management questions

I currently am using Slackware 12 with updates.  It has become increasingly cumbersome to compile new software given the number of dependencies that also have to be compiled, and have their own dependencies compiled, etc and so on. 

Other than the fact that the adoption of new packages is somewhat glacial, and that there is no automatic dependency resolution, I really like Slackware.  Its fast, relatively easy to configure, and easy to use.  I'm conversant in commandline-ese.

I've been led to understand based on the Arch wiki that Arch is very similar to Slackware in its layout, but with bleeding edge packages and dependency resolution, so I would think it would be about perfect.

However, I also understand that the install is more difficult that Slackware.  How much more so is my question.  Is it impossibly confusing and unhelpful like Debian installation was, or just slightly more difficult than Slackware or FreeBSD (both of which have very smooth installation scripts)

Also, for packages that have to be compiled from source, are dependancies easy to satisfy from the arch repository, or do dependencies for new software have to be compiled with their dependencies.

I'd probably just be trashing everything but /home, and doing a clean reinstall.

Is Arch the right distro for me, or am I better off staying with Slackware?  Like I said, I really like Slackware except for the package management issues.

#2 2008-10-25 19:58:20

lucke

Re: Slackware user - Arch install process and package management questions

Installation is a breeze for an experienced user.

Generally you shouldn't have any problems with dependencies.

#3 2008-10-25 20:01:03

esters

I've been led to understand based on the Arch wiki that Arch is very similar to Slackware in its layout, but with bleeding edge packages and dependency resolution, so I would think it would be about perfect.

You are right about that.

However, I also understand that the install is more difficult that Slackware.  How much more so is my question.  Is it impossibly confusing and unhelpful like Debian installation was, or just slightly more difficult than Slackware or FreeBSD (both of which have very smooth installation scripts)

They are quite similar, but Slackware provides more help when doing tasks like - how can I partition my harddisk and so on. But If you're comfortable with Slack's install procedure then installing Arch is much easier, just read the install guide.

I think Arch is good for you, because currently I have both - Slackware and Arch and both suit me fine for my needs.

Also remove all *. entries in your /home smile

#4 2008-10-25 20:03:38

z0phi3l

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

That's all you need to install Arch.

#5 2008-10-25 20:12:13

creslin

theapodan wrote:

Is it impossibly confusing and unhelpful like Debian installation was, or just slightly more difficult than Slackware or FreeBSD (both of which have very smooth installation scripts)

I consider the installer pretty similar to freebsd.. you just go step by step down the menu.  It's intuitive for me.

Also, for packages that have to be compiled from source, are dependancies easy to satisfy from the arch repository, or do dependencies for new software have to be compiled with their dependencies.

That just depends on how exotic the package is.  Usually you can just pull in prepackaged deps, but even if binaries aren't available in the main repos, the Arch User-Community Repository is pretty easy to handle.

ARCH|awesome3.0 powered by Pentium M 750 | 512MB DDR2-533 | Radeon X300 M
The journey is the reward.

#6 2008-10-25 21:02:06

Square

Honestly I believe that Arch's install makes more sense than any other installer I've come across (including GUI). It's laid out in order, and is really simple. My first time through I had a running system without even knowing about the beginner's guide and such... but just had to go back through to touch up the parts I missed afterward.

Having used slackware briefly in the past, I found Arch to be heaven. It gives you massive flexibility in how your system turns out with a little help on the parts where it isn't necessary that a person absolutely do everything themselves (dependencies!). Arch fills in just enough so that you are in full control, yet don't have to be some kind of MacGyver out in Siberia.

With (pacman and) the choice of binaries from the repos, AUR, and ABS... package management is a breeze.

Last edited by Square (2008-10-25 21:06:42)

Board footer