You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-26 19:38:30

benerivo

Installing individual packages

I've just installed arch, and i'm using kde. When i installed kde i just chose the 'groups' needed for a base desktop. I now want to install dragonplayer, ark, okular, etc. But when i give the installation command i get

ben@arch ~]$ sudo pacman -S dragonplayer
dragonplayer package not found, searching for group...
error: 'dragonplayer': not found in sync db

#2 2008-10-26 19:49:07

arch0r

Re: Installing individual packages

i think you have to install the kdemultimedia package

#3 2008-10-26 19:59:23

benerivo

Thanks, that worked.

So in arch you may have to install groups of packages such as kdemultimedia, rather than individual packages? (i've got a a debian/ubuntu background)

I can install vlc, alsa-utils, etc., but when i ask for a package that may be part of a larger group (such as dragonplayer) then it fails with the above message.

Last edited by benerivo (2008-10-26 20:00:13)

#4 2008-10-26 20:05:00

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

KDE traditionally has some big packs and few standalone apps. KDE's PIM package is an example of that (Kmail, Kopete or stuff like that). If you want the split out stuff kdemod may be what you want.

By the way - the 'default' way is the packs; that's how they're provided by the KDE project afaik (although there are probably stand-alone source tarballs for a lot of those apps too). Debian has a way of splitting everything out (which sometimes is nice and sometimes isn't).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2008-10-26 20:11:12

benerivo

Okay, i think i get it now. How do i install amarok? At the moment i have the 'juk' player which i don't want but which was installed as a neccessity when i installed dragonplayer. I can't remove juk with sudo pacman -R juk as it says

[ben@arch ~]$ sudo pacman -R juk
juk not found, searching for group...
error: 'juk': not found in local db

When i try amarok it just says that it is not found. Do i have to know what 'group' it is in if i want to install it?

Last edited by benerivo (2008-10-26 20:11:47)

#6 2008-10-26 20:13:01

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Not really.

To pacman, a "group" is just a tag associated with several packages. You can always install individual packages from a group. The kdemultimedia package is a single package, not a pacman "group". The apps in that package probably share so many dependencies that bundling them together makes much more sense.

EDIT
That was a late reply to the previous post.

Anyway, you can find packages and apps using pacman's search option:

pacman -Ss amarok

Also, if you wont' want to have a bunch of software installed that you'll never used, consider ditching kde/gnome and building your own DE on top of openbox/*box/awesome/xmonad/whatever.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-26 20:18:04)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#7 2008-10-26 20:24:37

benerivo

Thanks. I did pacman -Ss amarok and it found it, but how is it installed? And can juk be removed? Also, how would openbox change my problem with the installation of amarok and the removal of juk, or are you suggesting that i use packages that are not related to DE's? I guess at this point i may seem like the devil's advocate, but i am willing to change my ways if neccassary.

Last edited by benerivo (2008-10-26 20:25:33)

#8 2008-10-26 20:32:58

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I think it's high time to read the pacman wiki page wink http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

Yeah, my suggestion was that if you don't like the way kde shoves a bunch of apps down your throat a la Windows, maybe you should consider putting your own DE together. All a DE really is is a collection of apps (which may play quite nicely with each other, but still).

Alternatively, you can take a look at kdemod or check out the Arch ABS system and try to repackage dragonplayer without all the other stuff in kdemultimedia if you want to get rid of juk. B mentioned that debian somehow manages to separate them, so maybe you can get an idea there of how to do it.

Welcome to Arch btw. smile

#9 2008-10-26 20:56:11

benerivo

Thanks guys, i'm going to do some wiki and kdemod reading to see if what i had in debian/ubuntu is possible in arch without package installation bloat. So far, i am very impressed with arch, but before i read up on stuff, I would like to know how to install amarok. Is there a command i can use from a basic installation to add amarok? I have at this point already read a liitle documentation on pacman, but why can i search for amarok and find it, and yet it says it can't find it when i try to install it.

#10 2008-10-26 21:11:16

creslin

benerivo wrote:

but before i read up on stuff, I would like to know how to install amarok.

....... this really makes no sense.  In the future you should ask after you read, not the other way around.  Anyway it's probably because your local database isn't synced, so you have to do the 1st step in the wiki Xyne linked:

# pacman -Sy

ARCH|awesome3.0 powered by Pentium M 750 | 512MB DDR2-533 | Radeon X300 M
The journey is the reward.

#11 2008-10-26 21:27:25

benerivo

Sorry guys. I'm reading it now but haven't yet found the answer. The only reason i'm continuing to post on these forums is that i thought it may be easy (i like a quick fix) or that i may not find the answer in the wiki...

ben@arch ~]$ sudo pacman -Sy
Password:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
[ben@arch ~]$ sudo pacman -S amaroK
amaroK package not found, searching for group...
error: 'amaroK': not found in sync db
[ben@arch ~]$

I can guarantee i have read the pacman wiki as was linked above. It mentions my error message and suggests that i have not synced my repository

If you receive the following error not found in sync db this likely due to the package not being located because the repository has not been set correctly.

So i have synced it and then tried again, but i still get the same error.

Last edited by benerivo (2008-10-26 21:28:05)

#12 2008-10-26 21:28:39

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You should be able to install amarok using this:

pacman -S amarok-base

The "pacman -Ss <search_term>" query returns packages found in the sync database. You can install anything in the list it returns using "pacman -S <pkg_name>". If you read the results, you'll see that the name is "amarok-base", not "amarok".

EDIT

benerivo wrote:

(i like a quick fix)

In my experience, one often ends up spending more time looking for a "quick fix" than one would have spent on a thorough approach.

Also, this may all seem a bit complicated/unnecessary/whatever right now, but once you get the hang of Arch, you'll be amazed at how simple it really is.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-26 21:32:51)

#13 2008-10-26 21:31:00

fflarex

When you searched for amarok, did you perhaps notice that the package is named amarok-base?

#14 2008-10-26 21:38:47

benerivo

Thanks, that worked. I have to say that as a newbie to pacman, i missed the fact that i can search for PACKAGENAME but not install PACKAGENAME, even though i did read the wiki

[ben@arch ~]$ sudo pacman -Ss amarok
extra/amarok-base 1.4.10-1
    amaroK - a media player for KDE
extra/amarok-engine-xine 1.4.10-1
    xine engine for amaroK
community/exaile 0.2.14-1
    A media player aiming to be similar to KDE's AmaroK, but for GTK+

#15 2008-10-26 21:57:38

creslin

You can think of pacman -Ss foo like apt-cache search foo.  It returns a list of things containing foo, not just packages that are named foo exactly.

Last edited by creslin (2008-10-26 22:00:08)

ARCH|awesome3.0 powered by Pentium M 750 | 512MB DDR2-533 | Radeon X300 M
The journey is the reward.

Board footer