You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-26 23:51:32

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Post complete logs/output/versions/error messages

When you have an issue, post the ENTIRE output or log. Information is crucial to being able to solve any problem. I've seen threads go for pages and all someone needed to do was ask for a log file or simple command output.

Don't do this

It doesnt work!!!

That is not output, that says absolutely nothing. It's probably the most useless thing you could post.

It said something about this, I think the problem is this

That's not an exact error message, that's an intepretation of an error message. It's like playing chinese whispers.

Responding
When someone posts something like the above, don't respond with a blind guess. Usually it'll just confuse the situation, instead just politely request more details. Don't post some solution that worked for you for something vaguely similar 2 years ago unless you are confident it is the same issue.

Sources of information
Full output of any command involved - don't just select what you think is relevant.
The systemd journal contains a record of almost everything that transpires on your system and has vast filtering possibilities, for example

journalctl -b

for the current boot
Log files (have a look in /var/log)
Relevant configuration files
Drivers involved
Versions of packages involved

Kernel: dmesg. For a boot problem, at least the last 10 lines displayed, preferably more
Networking: Exact output of commands involved, and any configuration files
Xorg: /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and prior logs if you have overwritten the problematic one

If a recent -Syu broke it, have a look through your pacman log and see what packages were upgraded.

Where to put the information?
In the post is fine or if it's very long - pastebins are great, particularly for config files. However make sure it's a long term paste so that it doesnt expire within a day.

See a maintained list of pastebin tools in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

Last edited by V1del (2021-12-16 10:17:58)

#2 2008-10-27 13:26:35

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Post complete logs/output/versions/error messages

Excellent Summary, James, maybe people will start acting like intelligent Archers around here again.

For more information, read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 

This document should be required reading for all Internet users.

Dusty

Last edited by Dusty (2008-10-27 15:37:33)

#3 2008-10-27 13:39:38

SkonesMickLoud
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Dusty wrote:

This document should be required reading for all new Internet users.

As well as some seasoned vets.

#4 2008-10-27 15:37:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

SkonesMickLoud wrote:
Dusty wrote:

This document should be required reading for all new Internet users.

As well as some seasoned vets.

Good point smile

#5 2008-10-27 18:58:36

rson451
Website

Thank you for this.  It's impossible to help users who refuse to give you the information you need.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#6 2012-08-02 11:58:13

drobole

Well, every now and then you see a guy who really want's to become an Arch'er but he/she got this problem and has no idea where to start.
Chances are that this guy becomes nervous and doesn't want to make a fool out of him self by replying with something like "Log file?... Who?"

What do you do then?

Last edited by drobole (2012-08-02 11:59:15)

#7 2012-08-02 18:39:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You suggest they look through /var/log and spend some time familiarizing themselves with the various log files there.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2012-08-31 14:15:33

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

To be fair, it took some time before I myself became accustomed to the logs. It is just like any other documentation. You need practice to make it really useful.

That said, don't take it for granted that newbies will be aware of what is needed. It takes patience to provide help (rather often, unfortunately). And to me it suffices if I see that somebody wants to learn (and does so).

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#9 2012-10-09 10:25:54

Admetus

bernarcher wrote:

To be fair, it took some time before I myself became accustomed to the logs. It is just like any other documentation. You need practice to make it really useful.

That said, don't take it for granted that newbies will be aware of what is needed. It takes patience to provide help (rather often, unfortunately). And to me it suffices if I see that somebody wants to learn (and does so).

Bernarcher hints at something else here: it works both ways.  It is fine enough having a sticky at the top of the newbie board to explain the basic locations of various outputs, but the responsibility of seasoned archers doesn't end there.  Experienced users ought to assume the role of teachers when entering forum discussion with beginners, and at the very least should be aware of the gap in knowledge.  Fortunately Arch newbies can boast more familiarity and objectivity than say Ubuntu newbies but they still require some preliminary (and sometimes background) information on where and what to implement.

"Post output of /var/program" or "Post /var/program.log" are better instructions than "Post output of program"

#10 2013-08-16 15:13:40

the dude

Thanks.. This has already help me a lot..

#11 2013-08-16 20:41:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please don't bump with empty posts. Closing.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer