You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-27 20:56:24

lgolebio

Problem with "pcmanfm" and "gnome-volume control"

Hi smile
I've bought my new laptop XPS m1530 few days ago, and decided to install arch on it. However I've got some problems.
Everything works nice, but I've got some issues:

1. Gnome-volume-control can only be run as root. I did "sudo pacman USERNAME audio" (username=lukasz) so I'm sure that I'm in a audio group.
    Launching gnomep-volume-control as normal user makes it crash. Here is the output if I launch it from terminal:

"[lukasz@myhost ~]$ gnome-volume-control
21140e6a-38e5-a4f2-4ebdd5a2-1d31bcee is dumped

(bug-buddy:7306): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed

(bug-buddy:7306): libebook-WARNING **: e_book_construct: Could not obtain a handle to the Personal Addressbook Server with IID `OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Exchange_Connector_BookFactory:1.2'

2. I installed pcmanfm cause it is 1000 times faster than nautilus, but when I try to play movies using pcmanfm the only thing appears is the sound of the movie. Mplayer, vlc or totem doesn't show at all !!?? I mean there is no video playback or even the program window, just pure sound in the background. So I have to go to the terminal and type "ps -A" an then "kill xxx" to end the process of mplayer or vlc or totem.

help smile needed smile

#2 2008-10-27 21:23:31

Sjoden
Website

Re: Problem with "pcmanfm" and "gnome-volume control"

1, the command is "gpasswd -a username audio". You have to log out then back in again for it to take effect.

2, when you say playing the video with pcmanfm, do you just mean double clicking the file? What you can try is right clicking on the file, open with, and choose a program, or type in the name of it, and select to use this program every time. Make sure you have the appropriate codecs installed for the type of video.

Hope that helps,
Zack

ps; Welcome to Arch!

Last edited by Sjoden (2008-10-27 21:23:51)

#3 2008-10-27 22:04:46

lgolebio

Re: Problem with "pcmanfm" and "gnome-volume control"

1. Yes you are right "sudo gpasswd -a lukasz audio" (I forget to add "gpasswd -a"). I did it but with no result as I mentioned above. Still no luck to launch gnome-v-c with normal user,

2. I can't launch the move even if I use right click and "choose the program". After I play the movie form pcmanfm, I hear only sound, no video appears, even the window prorgam when the movie is played. I have codecs installed, because I can play movies using default nautilus window manager.

Board footer