You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-27 22:34:49

Extreme Coder

SMPlayer says MPlayer is too old?

Hi,
I just updated SMPlayer to latest version(0.6.4). It's working fine, but first time I started it it says that the MPlayer version I have is too old, although it is the latest version in the repo. It also keeps saying that at the bottom of the player.
I tried building from AUR, mplayer-nogui-svn (I didn't want the GUI), but it didn't work, some errors related to x264(see the comments on AUR). Then I tried building mplayer snapshot from AUR as well, but it didn't work, saying bsdtar: mplayer-export-2008-(can't remember date)/cfg-mencoder.h bzip2 decompression failed.

I want to know, why would SMplayer need a newer MPlayer? Are there any improvements?
and also, why am I not able to build any of those 2 PKGBUILDS (preferably nogui one)?

Thanks!

#2 2008-10-28 01:13:39

rvm

Re: SMPlayer says MPlayer is too old?

MPlayer 1.0rc2 is more than a year old. Many improvements have been done since then, SMPlayer is ready to use some of them. Some of the options in preferences can enable features not present in MPlayer 1.0rc2 making it to fail.

Some of the new features in MPlayer SVN which SMPlayer can use:

- the scaletempo filter, allows change the playback speed without altering the pitch.
- new slave commands to select accurately the subtitle track. Without them subtitle selection could fail, specially with mp4 videos and idx/sub subtitles.
- the size of subtitles can be changed at runtime (no need to restart mplayer) even if using the SSA/ASS library.
- new options force-pbo and ati-hack for the gl driver, which make gl as fast as xv. Also gl (without any options) is faster than before.

Also MPlayer 1.0rc2 contains ugly bugs which can make it crash when using ass subtitles.

For that reason SMPlayer will complain if it detects a MPlayer version older than SVN r25158.

#3 2008-10-28 10:03:55

Extreme Coder

I see. Thanks for the info!
But I still can't build MPlayer from SVN. The ASS subtitles features are important to me as I watch a lot of anime.

#4 2008-10-28 10:30:39

mechmg93

In my opinion, any transaction to a newer version of mplayer must be done vary carefully.

I am a new arch linux user. I used debian unstable, having mplayer from debian multimedia which is build from svn snapshots and i had lots of problems with it.
One of the reasons i kept arch in my eeepc is the stability of arch's mplayer/smplayer. with debian and mplayer in eeepc watching videos was just impossible.

Mikes on AUR

#5 2008-10-28 10:50:33

moljac024

Extreme Coder wrote:

But I still can't build MPlayer from SVN. The ASS subtitles features are important to me as I watch a lot of anime.

ASS subtitles ? big_smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#6 2008-10-28 10:55:15

Allan
Pacman
Website

moljac024 wrote:
Extreme Coder wrote:

ASS subtitles ? big_smile

Did you also think that they would be a bit crap?  big_smile

#7 2008-10-28 21:29:36

b0uncyfr0

So the solution is to start using mplayer svn from aur...

Can anyone comment on the reliability? its svn so its likely to have problems but is it bad? If it is, might as well downgrade back to 0.6.3.

#8 2008-10-28 22:08:49

skottish
Forum Fellow

I've been using Mplayer from subversion for months with fairly frequent updates. It works great.

#9 2008-10-28 23:38:35

dyscoria

b0uncyfr0 wrote:

Can anyone comment on the reliability? its svn so its likely to have problems but is it bad? If it is, might as well downgrade back to 0.6.3.

I update mplayer every fortnight or so and have never had problems. But then again all I do is play DVD's and my DVD rips (matroska format). Nothing too exciting.

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#10 2008-10-28 23:46:07

Githzerai

Yes it is SVN, but still rc code, they are only bugfixing, major changes that would affect stability and usability are not expected at least before 1.0 final is released.

And SSA/ASS does work much much better. wink

#11 2008-10-29 03:06:04

rvm

b0uncyfr0 wrote:

Can anyone comment on the reliability? its svn so its likely to have problems but is it bad?

MPlayer developers consider SVN stable. Actually they recommend to use SVN. Version 1.0rc2 is not even supported in the mplayer mailing lists.

They haven't released 1.0rc3 yet because currently they don't have anyone who could make the release. Also they don't believe much in releases...

I've been using SVN since a lot of time ago and there's no problem. Actually it works better (bugfixes, new features...). Ok, sometimes something could break, but it's usually fixed very quickly.

b0uncyfr0 wrote:

If it is, might as well downgrade back to 0.6.3.

Just to make things clear: SMPlayer 0.6.3 (or any other previous version) have the same problems with MPlayer 1.0rc2. Just simply in 0.6.4 a warning is displayed the first time so the user could know that MPlayer 1.0rc2 is old and some things may not work.

Anyway, besides this warning, SMPlayer will still try to work the best it can with old versions of MPlayer. As long as you leave some of the options in preferences to "Auto" you shouldn't have any problem, with the exception of the subtitle selection (there's no way to make it work properly with MPlayer 1.0rc2).

#12 2008-10-29 07:44:27

Yunus Emre

It solved as I updated whole system by "pacman -Syu". Maybe you should give it a try.

#13 2008-10-29 10:06:23

Extreme Coder

I'm not sure how it solved it for you, there are no new versions of MPlayer in the repos. It still says that message in the bottom of SMplayer when playing something.
So anyway,since apparently Mplayer from SVN is working great for you guys, can someone please post a PKGBUILD of it? Preferably one with all features and build options included tongue

Thanks!

#14 2008-10-29 10:22:58

Allan
Pacman
Website

Extreme Coder wrote:

So anyway,since apparently Mplayer from SVN is working great for you guys, can someone please post a PKGBUILD of it? Preferably one with all features and build options included tongue

There is bound to be one in the AUR.

#15 2008-10-29 12:03:55

Extreme Coder

Well, as I said in my original post, I tried mplayer-nogui-svn and mplayer snapshot, and both failed for different purposes.

#16 2008-10-29 13:21:49

whompus

I've just tried mplayer-snapshot and it would not build, found that I needed an updated x264 so copied the x264 pkgbuild from extra, changed the version to 20081028 and md5sum to 20b665e24f08cfe7027a516197e9d94a then built and installed. Removed unneeded makedepends, added conflicts and provides lines to mplayer-snapshot pkgbuild and it built with no errors.

#17 2008-10-29 15:45:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

whompus wrote:

I've just tried mplayer-snapshot and it would not build, found that I needed an updated x264 so copied the x264 pkgbuild from extra, changed the version to 20081028 and md5sum to 20b665e24f08cfe7027a516197e9d94a then built and installed. Removed unneeded makedepends, added conflicts and provides lines to mplayer-snapshot pkgbuild and it built with no errors.

That's an important thing. Nothing that uses a modern FFmpeg is going to build with x264 < so.63, and x264 is currently at so.65. There's something big going on with x264 and how it associates with FFmpeg right now (actually FFmpeg in general), so so.65 is probably going to be bumped shortly.

#18 2008-10-29 18:32:58

Diaz

we should find a good way, a good set off options, to get a stable mplayer-svn build recomended for smplayer. Then someone could put up a small server to update the binaries related.

I tried to build the mplayer in the past at least 2 times that i remmember, but i cna't understand all that libraries and ffmpeg suff related.... I mean should'nt mplayer have all requiered codecs built-in? why does it ask for dependencies? I just think it is a whole mess for people not really used to mplayer related stuff.

#19 2008-10-29 21:33:06

skottish
Forum Fellow

Diaz wrote:

I mean should'nt mplayer have all requiered codecs built-in? why does it ask for dependencies? I just think it is a whole mess for people not really used to mplayer related stuff.

A lot of the dependencies for Mplayer are no longer required. My advice to everyone that doesn't feel like rebuilding things frequently is to be patient until Mplayer 1.0 comes out. It will use almost nothing outside of FFmpeg.

For the interested, this is the current configure line that I use for Mplayer-svn:

--prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer --win32codecsdir=/usr/lib/win32 \
  --enable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-largefiles --enable-menu --disable-gui --disable-faad \
  --disable-libdv --disable-aa --disable-liblzo --disable-speex --disable-fribidi --disable-mp3lame \
  --disable-arts --disable-smb --disable-dvdnav --disable-openal --disable-faad-internal \
  --disable-x264 --disable-jack --disable-musepack --disable-libamr_nb --disable-libamr_wb \
  --disable-lirc --disable-lircc --disable-enca --disable-pulse --disable-directfb --disable-nas \
  --disable-xvid --disable-theora --disable-libvorbis --disable-libmpeg2 --disable-mad \
  --disable-liba52

The important disabled codecs are on the right or the bottom. Of that, liba52 (a52dec) is using the internal Mplayer libraries (I don't have it installed). The rest is being handled by FFmpeg. Why ac3 doesn't work in Mplayer with FFmpeg's libraries is beyond me. FFmpeg can decode those streams natively.

My FFmpeg configure line is this. The only "common" thing it doesn't do is rv30 and rv40 which are being worked on daily again:

./configure --prefix=/usr \
              --enable-gpl \
              --enable-libfaac \
              --enable-libx264 \
              --enable-shared \
              --disable-static \
              --enable-pthreads \
              --enable-network \
              --enable-x11grab \
              --enable-postproc \
              --enable-avfilter \
              --enable-avfilter-lavf \
              --enable-swscale

x264 and FAAC are it. FAAC is being replaced by internal libraries that may be released soon, and x264 is the Great Mystery. And even that I don't think is that big of a mystery. I'm guessing that they are implementing FFmpeg's new MPEG4 decoder based on x264 libraries which should outperform even CoreAVC. Jason Garrett-Glaser (Dark Shikari, x264 developer) took over responsibility for all things x264 in FFmpeg a few weeks back.

Last edited by skottish (2008-10-29 21:33:56)

#20 2008-10-30 03:09:10

kalpik
Website

Im not able to build mplayer-nogui-svn sad

#21 2008-10-30 11:44:20

Extreme Coder

x264 and FAAC are it. FAAC is being replaced by internal libraries that may be released soon, and x264 is the Great Mystery. And even that I don't think is that big of a mystery. I'm guessing that they are implementing FFmpeg's new MPEG4 decoder based on x264 libraries which should outperform even CoreAVC. Jason Garrett-Glaser (Dark Shikari, x264 developer) took over responsibility for all things x264 in FFmpeg a few weeks back.

Really? That's quite interesting for me, as I have quite a lot of H264 video here.

Actually, that's one thing that has been puzzling me for some time now:
My laptop is an Intel Pentium Dual Core (1.6 GHz), 1 GB Ram and an ATI Radeon X1100(which I use the xf86-video-ati with), and although the CPU is always around 40% when decoding 1280x720 HD video, there are very few parts in which I feel the video stutters (it's for about 2-3 seconds only), and when monitoring the CPU usage, it never goes above 60%. Yet Mplayer complains about my CPU being too slow hmm Playing the video in Dragon Player (which AFAIK uses Xine) plays just fine. Also, disabling 'Allow Frame Drop' Option in SMplayer when playing said scene does make it play smoothly, but audio/subtitles and video go out of sync.. hmm
Maybe I should make a new thread for this specific issue..

Anyway skottish, could you please provide PKGBUILDs for FFMPEG and Mplayer then with your config lines? I haven't taken the time yet to know anything about PKGBUILDS or how to modify them (although I bet it's easy from its looks)

#22 2008-10-30 13:58:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

Note: FAAC in the repos in broken. It currently can't produce MP4 files! And it's been broken for a very, very long time. Search for FAAC in the bug tracker. There are some patches there to get it working. Despite anything that I said in the discussion, you'll need both patches. A little bit of work may need to be done to get one of them to apply.

FFmpeg-svn:

# Contributor: niQo 
# Contributor: skottish 

pkgname=ffmpeg-svn
pkgver=15731
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Complete and free Internet live audio and video broadcasting solution for Linux/Unix"
arch=(i686 x86_64)
url="http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/"
license=('LGPL')
depends=('sdl' 'faac' 'zlib' 'imlib2' 'x264')
makedepends=('subversion')
provides=("ffmpeg=`date +%Y%m%d`")
conflicts=('ffmpeg')
source=()
md5sums=()

_svntrunk=svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk
_svnmod=ffmpeg

build() {
  cd $startdir/src

if [ -d $_svnmod/.svn ]; then
    (cd $_svnmod && svn up -r $pkgver)
  else
    svn co $_svntrunk --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver $_svnmod
  fi

msg "SVN checkout done or server timeout"
  msg "Starting make..."

cp -r $_svnmod $_svnmod-build
  cd $_svnmod-build

./configure --prefix=/usr \
              --enable-gpl \
              --enable-libfaac \
              --enable-libx264 \
              --enable-shared \
              --disable-static \
              --enable-pthreads \
              --enable-network \
              --enable-x11grab \
              --enable-postproc \
              --enable-avfilter \
              --enable-avfilter-lavf \
              --enable-swscale

make || return 1

make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1

mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/ffmpeg

install -m644 ffpresets/*.ffpreset $startdir/pkg/usr/share/ffmpeg

rm -rf ../$_svnmod-build
}

MPlayer-svn (no GUI)

# $Id: PKGBUILD 356 2008-04-18 22:56:27Z aaron $
# Maintainer: Tom Killian 
# Contributor: lucke 
# Contributor: skottish

pkgname=mplayer-svn 
pkgver=27828
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A movie player for linux"
depends=('libungif' 'cdparanoia' 'gtk2' 'codecs' 'sdl' \
         'libjpeg' 'esd' 'faac' 'ttf-bitstream-vera' \
         'libxxf86dga' 'fontconfig' 'libxinerama' 'libxv' 'libpng' \
     'libxxf86vm' 'libgl')
makedepends=('subversion' 'pkgconfig')
source=(ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/skins/Blue-1.7.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('e4e2020d11b681aac898103b3ba723c4')
conflicts=('mplayer')
provides=('mplayer')
url="http://www.mplayerhq.hu/"
license=("GPL")
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')

_svntrunk=svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk
_svnmod=mplayer

build() {
  cd $startdir/src

svn co $_svntrunk $_svnmod --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver

cp -r $_svnmod $_svnmod-build
  cd $_svnmod-build

unset CFLAGS

./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer --win32codecsdir=/usr/lib/win32 \
  --enable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-largefiles --enable-menu --disable-gui --disable-faad \
  --disable-libdv --disable-aa --disable-liblzo --disable-speex --disable-fribidi --disable-mp3lame \
  --disable-arts --disable-smb --disable-dvdnav --disable-openal --disable-faad-internal \
  --disable-x264 --disable-jack --disable-musepack --disable-libamr_nb --disable-libamr_wb \
  --disable-lirc --disable-lircc --disable-enca --disable-pulse --disable-directfb --disable-nas \
  --disable-xvid --disable-theora --disable-libvorbis --disable-libmpeg2 --disable-mad \
  --disable-liba52

make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1
  install -m644 etc/{codecs.conf,input.conf,example.conf} $startdir/pkg/etc/mplayer
  ln -s /usr/share/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/subfont.ttf
  rm -rf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/font
  mv $startdir/src/Blue $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/skins/default

rm -rf ../$_svnmod-build
}

Last edited by skottish (2008-10-30 13:58:43)

#23 2008-10-30 15:24:42

kalpik
Website

All i get when i compile ffmpeg-svn is this:

Checked out revision 15750.
==> SVN checkout done or server timeout
==> Starting make...
ERROR: libx264 version must be >= 0.65.
If you think configure made a mistake, make sure you are using the latest
version from SVN.  If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
ffmpeg-user@mplayerhq.hu mailing list or IRC #ffmpeg on irc.freenode.net.
Include the log file "config.err" produced by configure as this will help
solving the problem.
Makefile:1: config.mak: No such file or directory
libavdevice/Makefile:1: libavdevice/../config.mak: No such file or directory
libavformat/Makefile:1: libavformat/../config.mak: No such file or directory
libavcodec/Makefile:1: libavcodec/../config.mak: No such file or directory
libavutil/Makefile:1: libavutil/../config.mak: No such file or directory
> vhook/watermark.d
> vhook/null.d
> vhook/fish.d
> libavutil/utils.d
> libavutil/tree.d
> libavutil/string.d
> libavutil/sha1.d
> libavutil/rc4.d
> libavutil/rational.d
> libavutil/random.d
> libavutil/mem.d
> libavutil/md5.d
> libavutil/mathematics.d
> libavutil/lzo.d
> libavutil/log.d
> libavutil/lls.d
> libavutil/lfg.d
> libavutil/intfloat_readwrite.d
> libavutil/fifo.d
> libavutil/des.d
> libavutil/crc.d
> libavutil/base64.d
> libavutil/aes.d
> libavutil/adler32.d
make: *** No rule to make target `libavutil/../config.mak'.  Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...

#24 2008-10-30 15:28:11

skottish
Forum Fellow

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15774

Beware that all of these upgrades can break all sorts of other things.

--EDIT--

I forgot to mention that the ffmpeg-svn PKGBUILD that I posted handles the FFmpeg x264 presets. You can just call them using the method here:

http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/2008/09 … 4-presets/

Last edited by skottish (2008-10-30 15:49:27)

#25 2008-10-31 02:36:57

kalpik
Website

Works now.. Thanks smile

Board footer