You are not logged in.

#26 2008-10-31 07:24:20

vexxor

Re: SMPlayer says MPlayer is too old?

kalpik wrote:

Works now.. Thanks smile

could you please describe what exactly you installed and in what order.
i've been messing with this for 2 days now without success

#27 2008-10-31 14:22:21

skottish
Forum Fellow

x264-git --> ffmpeg-svn --> mplayer-svn

Use the -s switch when running makepkg to pull in any dependencies.

#28 2008-10-31 16:18:26

skottish
Forum Fellow

x264 is committing publicly again. They're at r1016 at the time that I wrote this. There isn't a .so bump yet, so this thread isn't going to get too overly complicated yet.

#29 2008-10-31 19:01:21

skottish
Forum Fellow

Yet another bump. The mplayer-svn PKGBUILD that I posted is pulling down and installing the gmplayer gui even though it's not using any of it. This is a correction for that:

pkgname=mplayer-svn
pkgver=27871
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A movie player for linux"
depends=('libungif' 'cdparanoia' 'gtk2' 'codecs' 'sdl' \
         'libjpeg' 'esd' 'faac' 'ttf-bitstream-vera' \
         'libxxf86dga' 'fontconfig' 'libxinerama' 'libxv' 'libpng' \
         'libxxf86vm' 'libgl')
makedepends=('subversion' 'pkgconfig')
source=()
md5sums=()
conflicts=('mplayer')
provides=('mplayer')
url="http://www.mplayerhq.hu/"
license=("GPL")
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')

_svntrunk=svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk
_svnmod=mplayer

build() {
  cd $startdir/src

svn co $_svntrunk $_svnmod --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver

cp -r $_svnmod $_svnmod-build
  cd $_svnmod-build

unset CFLAGS

./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer --win32codecsdir=/usr/lib/win32 \
  --enable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-largefiles --enable-menu --disable-gui --disable-faad \
  --disable-libdv --disable-aa --disable-liblzo --disable-speex --disable-fribidi --disable-mp3lame \
  --disable-arts --disable-smb --disable-dvdnav --disable-openal --disable-faad-internal \
  --disable-x264 --disable-jack --disable-musepack --disable-libamr_nb --disable-libamr_wb \
  --disable-lirc --disable-lircc --disable-enca --disable-pulse --disable-directfb --disable-nas \
  --disable-xvid --disable-theora --disable-libvorbis --disable-libmpeg2 --disable-mad \
  --disable-liba52

make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1
  install -m644 etc/{codecs.conf,input.conf,example.conf} $startdir/pkg/etc/mplayer
  ln -s /usr/share/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/subfont.ttf
  rm -rf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/font

rm -rf ../$_svnmod-build
}

#30 2008-10-31 19:49:36

Extreme Coder

Thanks a lot for your efforts skottish! I will try the PKGBUILDS right now.

#31 2008-10-31 20:50:53

Extreme Coder

Ok, I built x264-git,ffmpeg,mplayer using your PKBGUILDS, everything's working fine so far. I don't see anything improved with regards to H264 decoding(with relation to the scene that slows down yet my CPU is not fully taxed), but I only tested it for a few minutes so far. Will the H264 decoding get better in the future?

#32 2008-10-31 21:06:57

skottish
Forum Fellow

Extreme Coder wrote:

Ok, I built x264-git,ffmpeg,mplayer using your PKBGUILDS, everything's working fine so far. I don't see anything improved with regards to H264 decoding(with relation to the scene that slows down yet my CPU is not fully taxed), but I only tested it for a few minutes so far. Will the H264 decoding get better in the future?

There's talk about this off and on in the FFmpeg developer's list, as has been for quite a while. They are doing this; It's not a rumor. The need for a very high performance MPEG4 decoder is huge, so this is a major priority. When the improvements hit only they know.

I stand by my (speculative) prediction and say that there's something big going on with FFmpeg, Mplayer, and x264 that we'll find out about soon enough. All three projects are way too quite right now...

#33 2008-11-01 18:17:57

Extreme Coder

Sounds good to me smile
Let us know in this thread if something happens with relations to those projects, as I'm subscribed to the thread tongue

#34 2008-11-01 19:17:51

vexxor

skottish wrote:

worked like a charm. thanks a bunch mate wink

edit:
except for one thing hmm
now vlc says: VLC does not support the audio or video format "XVID". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

Last edited by vexxor (2008-11-01 19:26:14)

#35 2008-11-03 00:58:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

vexxor wrote:
skottish wrote:

worked like a charm. thanks a bunch mate wink

edit:
except for one thing hmm
now vlc says: VLC does not support the audio or video format "XVID". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

VLC was built against a much earlier version of x264. Rebuild against your current libraries and see if that helps. It's also possible that changes in FFmpeg may be a factor here, but that's usually easy to deal with to.

#36 2008-11-03 07:28:32

vexxor

Thanks mate. I will try a rebuild. I don't really need VLC, but the wife uses it... so i guess i will have to smile

#37 2008-11-07 07:12:45

vexxor

vexxor wrote:

Thanks mate. I will try a rebuild. I don't really need VLC, but the wife uses it... so i guess i will have to smile

Exactly like you said. I rebuilt VLC from abs, and everything is working fine now.

#38 2008-11-17 23:17:20

Army

Is there a way to compile mplayer-nogui-svn with x264 support? I really need mencoder, would love to convert my DVDs to x264 in the next few days.

#39 2008-11-17 23:47:00

skottish
Forum Fellow

Army wrote:

Is there a way to compile mplayer-nogui-svn with x264 support? I really need mencoder, would love to convert my DVDs to x264 in the next few days.

Completely remove the line --disable-x264 and recompile. Don't enable it; There may be problems. Mplayer will be able to find x264. I didn't test this beyond making sure that it compiles and Mplayer can see x264.

Last edited by skottish (2008-11-17 23:47:21)

#40 2008-11-18 01:43:46

damjan

why the "esd" dependency? esd should really die.

#41 2008-11-18 07:31:06

Army

Thanks skottish! I'll try that, had --enable-x264 in the configure line. Actually, is it best to tell mplayer NOTHING, just --disable-gui --enable-bigfilestuff and such alike but nothing about filetype support in any way? But well, I'll try that out, for example I also always compile it with amr support (for the movies and sound records of mobile phones wink )

#42 2008-11-21 18:43:07

skottish
Forum Fellow

It turns out that my subversion build of Mplayer was still using a static FFmpeg built from its own tree. This PKGBUILD will build against the system FFmpeg (at least one built from subversion today). Again, I don't have faad2, anything Xiph (vorbis, theora, etc), mp3lame, flac, or really anything else installed. This includes the codecs package. There are major problems on my system with RealMedia which is the only thing used in that package. The exception here is that Mplayer still can't use FFmpeg's a52 code, so the internal copy is used. The final package size is under 7MB installed. Of course if you need anything enabled, that's up to you. I don't use Mencoder, so I don't need it:

pkgname=mplayer-svn
pkgver=27973
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A movie player for linux"
depends=('libungif' 'cdparanoia' 'sdl' 'libjpeg' \
         'ttf-bitstream-vera' 'libxxf86dga' 'fontconfig' \
         'libxinerama' 'libxv' 'libpng' 'libxxf86vm')

makedepends=('subversion' 'pkgconfig')
source=()
md5sums=()
conflicts=('mplayer')
provides=('mplayer')
url="http://www.mplayerhq.hu/"
license=("GPL")
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')

_svntrunk=svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk
_svnmod=mplayer

build() {
  cd $startdir/src

svn co $_svntrunk $_svnmod --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver

cp -r $_svnmod $_svnmod-build
  cd $_svnmod-build

unset CFLAGS

./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer \
      --enable-runtime-cpudetection \
      --disable-gui \
      --disable-faad \
      --disable-faad-internal \
      --disable-libdv \
      --disable-aa \
      --disable-liblzo \
      --disable-speex \
      --disable-fribidi \
      --disable-smb \
      --disable-dvdnav \
      --disable-openal \
      --disable-x264 \
      --disable-esd \
      --disable-jack \
      --disable-musepack \
      --disable-directfb \
      --disable-nas \
      --disable-liba52 \
      --disable-libavutil_a \
      --disable-libavcodec_a  \
      --disable-libavformat_a \
      --disable-libswscale_a \
      --disable-libpostproc_a

make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1
  install -m644 etc/{codecs.conf,input.conf,example.conf} $startdir/pkg/etc/mplayer
  ln -s /usr/share/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/subfont.ttf
  rm -rf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/font

rm -rf ../$_svnmod-build
}

Last edited by skottish (2008-11-21 18:58:15)

#43 2008-11-21 20:41:41

Diaz

i build and installed x264-git, and now was trying to do the same with ffmpeg-svn with the PKGBUILD you posted in the previous page but it fails to compile:

gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build" -march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros          -c -o libavdevice/v4l2.o libavdevice/v4l2.c
gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build" -march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros          -c -o libavdevice/v4l.o libavdevice/v4l.c
gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build" -march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros          -c -o libavdevice/x11grab.o libavdevice/x11grab.c
In file included from libavdevice/x11grab.c:51:
/usr/include/sys/ipc.h:25:3: warning: #warning "Files using this header must be compiled with _SVID_SOURCE or _XOPEN_SOURCE"
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libavdevice.so.52 -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavformat -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavcodec -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavutil -rdynamic -export-dynamic -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libpostproc -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libswscale -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavfilter -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavdevice -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavformat -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavcodec -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavutil -Wl,-Bsymbolic -o libavdevice/libavdevice.so.52 libavdevice/alldevices.o libavdevice/dv1394.o libavdevice/audio.o libavdevice/v4l2.o libavdevice/v4l.o libavdevice/x11grab.o libavformat/libavformat.so libavcodec/libavcodec.so libavutil/libavutil.so -lavformat -lavcodec -lavutil -lz -lbz2 -pthread -lm -lfaac -lx264 -lm    -ldl -ldl -lX11 -lXext 
cd ./libavdevice/ && ln -sf libavdevice.so.52 libavdevice.so
gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build" -march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros          -c -o ffmpeg.o ffmpeg.c
In file included from ffmpeg.c:37:
libavformat/framehook.h:25:2: warning: #warning VHOOK is deprecated. Please help finishing libavfilter instead of wasting your time writing new filters for this crappy filter system.
"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/version.sh "/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build" version.h 
gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build" -march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros          -c -o cmdutils.o cmdutils.c
gcc -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavfilter -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libpostproc -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libswscale -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavdevice -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavformat -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavcodec -L"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavutil -rdynamic -export-dynamic -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libpostproc -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libswscale -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavfilter -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavdevice -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavformat -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavcodec -Wl,-rpath-link,"/home/diaz/system/ffmpeg-svn/src/ffmpeg-build"/libavutil -Wl,-Bsymbolic -o ffmpeg_g ffmpeg.o cmdutils.o -lavfilter -lpostproc -lswscale -lavdevice -lavformat -lavcodec -lavutil -lz -lbz2 -pthread -lm -lfaac -lx264 -lm    -ldl -ldl -lX11 -lXext
cp -p ffmpeg_g ffmpeg
strip ffmpeg
strip: Warning: 'ffmpeg' is not an ordinary file
make: *** [ffmpeg] Error 1
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...

#44 2008-11-21 22:50:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

Diaz wrote:

i build and installed x264-git, and now was trying to do the same with ffmpeg-svn with the PKGBUILD you posted in the previous page but it fails to compile:

snip...

You got to the linking stage when it died. I'm thinking one of two things. Either you don't have all of the lines from the PKGBUILD that I posted, or you're building against a previously broken attempt. Make sure that you have all of the lines of the PKGBUILD, delete ffmpeg-build out of the build directory, and try again. I just rebuilt to make sure that it isn't upstream, and it worked fine.

#45 2008-11-21 23:55:04

Diaz

ok, it seems to be ok. just built the 3 packages and finnally installed them. If something strange comes up i'll say smile

#46 2008-11-22 00:17:58

skottish
Forum Fellow

Diaz wrote:

ok, it seems to be ok. just built the 3 packages and finnally installed them. If something strange comes up i'll say smile

I'm glad you got it working.

Since I'm running off with this, I'll post something strange that I discovered. With this setup, Mplayer's -dumpstream no longer produces correct timestamps. Timestamps use to be alright with:

mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.mpg

Now it assigns the time of the first chapter exactly like cat does for mpgs. I haven't tried with .vob yet. This kind of thing doesn't matter to me because I only own one movie and it's sole purpose now is for me to test things like this. This may be a problem for others.

#47 2008-11-22 18:43:18

kalpik
Website

Why dont you take up these packages in AUR? (or are they already there?)

#48 2008-11-22 19:14:29

skottish
Forum Fellow

kalpik wrote:

Why dont you take up these packages in AUR? (or are they already there?)

They're already there, and mine are highly specialized. I'm on a mission to remove all duplicate functionality in multimedia plug-ins, and FFmpeg is the way. But the hassle may not be worth it to some, probably most. There are frequent breaks in things and many rebuilds involved. I'm justing posting here in case anyone is interested in trying. When the interest dies, I'll stop.

#49 2008-11-22 19:44:43

Army

Please never stop, your builds are very cool! smile I do have to change some things, because I need mencoder with x264, use another font etc, but before you started posting here, I couldn't get mplayer from svn built. At least, good to have an expert in this area

#50 2008-11-22 19:51:08

skottish
Forum Fellow

Army wrote:

Please never stop, your builds are very cool! smile I do have to change some things, because I need mencoder with x264, use another font etc, but before you started posting here, I couldn't get mplayer from svn built. At least, good to have an expert in this area

I was getting all excited because I had xmms2 playing all mp3/mpeg4/aac variants through only FFmpeg until yesterday. The two albums that I had left in vorbis format I converted alac/m4a with FFmpeg. Something broke when I started messing around with libvisual though. This sucks!!! My dorky dream of having nothing but a FFmpeg back-end was close to realized. I'll keep trying though...

--EDIT--

Alright, I just built MPD from git with ignoring all dependencies, and now it's working with FFmpeg for at least m4a, both mpeg4 and alac. This has happened before, but it died an ugly and painful death. Now the trick is to not to f**k it up.

--EDIT 2--

There's no doubt now that MPD will play most of the files that I have on my system through FFmpeg. This is only working for the m4a/mp4/alac files that I've tested; mp3 surprisingly doesn't work, and I don't have any vorbis or flac files anymore. But, two out of 6500+ songs isn't so bad...

Last edited by skottish (2008-11-23 00:32:48)

Board footer