You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-29 22:44:21

panosk

Ignoring software raid, mplayer issues, and arch in general

Hello all,

Allow me to start with the specific questions: I installed Arch today and got almost everything set up. Gnome, compiz, most services I want, etc. Arch is installed into a separate 74 WD Raptor drive but I also use a software raid 0 controller for Windows XP. Since I still need Windows for some running projects, I would like to set up arch so that it will completely ignore the controller.

Another problem I have is with mplayer. It simply can't play anything, throwing me an error message "failed to open file...". When I try to play the file from the command line, I see an error "couldn't connect to socket". vlc, however, plays the file fine. Also, neither mplayer or vlc can play media files through samba.

Any help on these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Now the general questions: I am trying to make a decision if arch is really suitable for my desktop needs. I had no problem at all with the installation (actually, I installed arch twice: in virtualbox and a normal installation through ftp), but I wouldn't like to mess around with countless config files too often. How safe is to believe that after building the system the way I want there will be no need to dive into config files (unless I want to or in rare occasions that sth breaks) and just use my PC for everyday work? With regard to this, how reliable and safe are the constant package upgrades? I am also using Ubuntu in a server and in my laptop and I really like it, but the idea of arch's rolling model is sth that fascinates me.

Thanks.

Panos

Last edited by panosk (2008-10-29 23:08:21)

#2 2008-10-29 22:59:17

elmer_42

Re: Ignoring software raid, mplayer issues, and arch in general

One thing I have to mention before I start this reply: specific titles bring in people who know about what you need help with. For example, a good title for this topic might be "Ignoring software raid, mplayer issues, and Arch maintenance & configuration"

Now that I have said that, I can try to help. I'm not sure about your mplayer issues, but I do know that you shouldn't have to dig around in your configuration files more than the initial time when you configure your system unless something breaks. As for the package upgrades, maybe hang around the IRC and ask if the upgrades have broken anybody's system.

[ lamy + pilot ] [ arch64 | wmii ] [ ati + amd ]

#3 2008-10-29 23:12:13

panosk

elmer_42 wrote:

One thing I have to mention before I start this reply: specific titles bring in people who know about what you need help with. For example, a good title for this topic might be "Ignoring software raid, mplayer issues, and Arch maintenance & configuration"

Now that I have said that, I can try to help. I'm not sure about your mplayer issues, but I do know that you shouldn't have to dig around in your configuration files more than the initial time when you configure your system unless something breaks. As for the package upgrades, maybe hang around the IRC and ask if the upgrades have broken anybody's system.

Thanks for your suggestion. You are absolutely right, so I changed the title.

#4 2008-10-30 06:45:49

panosk

I just found out sth else. Gmplayer plays the file too (an mpg) but mplayer still refuses to open it neutral. Also, I still can't play any media files in samba shares with any media player. Is it possible to be a matter of user rights? Maybe I have to add my user to the samba group or sth like that?

In my very limited experience with Arch I can say that it is very fast, at least much faster than Ubuntu. Almost all apps start twice faster.

Thanks in advance.

Board footer