You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-30 22:41:24

tekknokrat

gnome-networkmanager and wpa

I dont know if this is dependent on card in some way.
I have atheros pcmcia card which features only show property for wep in gnome-networkmanager.
With wpa_supplicant this works fine either with netcfg2.

I only want to make it running under gnome-networkmanager for ease use of the target user (not me).
I didnt saw much threads of this but the gnome-networkmanager which I know from ubuntu was also able to handle wpa so is this feature new at archs networkmanager?

Currently am also just testing the packages from aur which depend on the wpa_supplicant-dbus package and hopefully support wpa

#2 2008-10-30 22:50:18

GERGE
Website

Re: gnome-networkmanager and wpa

Network Manager can handle the wpa crypting. But since it does not support static ip and custom dns, you would be better off to the Wicd.

edit: you could, of course, use static ip and custom dns from rc.conf but if you use different connections in different places there is no other good option but Wicd.

Last edited by GERGE (2008-10-30 22:52:58)

#3 2008-10-30 23:18:15

tekknokrat

Ok, so do you mean this is a problem with the card at all that i cant choose wpa?
I want at least try to go with networkmanager because it integrates better in gnome and xfce4 and I am used to it from ubuntu.
I'll have a look on wicd.

#4 2008-10-31 00:32:41

tekknokrat

after some try i'll go to bed first.
neither wicd nor networkmanager none of them really worked.
networkmanager associates when keeping the roaming enabled but never gets an ip address.
I tried also the svn version which also didnt work.
wicd tells me that it needs encryption when pressing on connect. I dont know whats missing there but both are crap.
I think keep with activating the netcfg profile again and using wicd client for wlan-monitoring /disabling-only applet.

#5 2008-11-10 13:45:04

tekknokrat

Now, at home I give networkmanager on my own laptop a try and succeeded.
I don't know what occurs these strange behaviour on the other laptop that neither the wlan-network-list nor wpa as an property was available perhaps permission problems... soe?
I dropped archlinux there and give the user a lightened xubuntu environment which is more convenient for him because of package-manager and things like that.

Board footer