You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-31 12:23:24

heinz

Disk encryption on Asus Eee PC 1000H

I'm planing to install Arch on my new baby this weekend. For me it is mandatory to encrypt my personal data on a mobile device and I already use full disk encryption on my other HP laptop flawlessly.

According to this Phoronix article http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a … disk&num=1 I'm not really sure what to do. Perhaps other paranoiacs are willing to share their experiences to the following questions:

1. Speed difference between 901s SSD and 1000Hs HD
2. Speed difference between unencrypted and fully encrypted systems
3. Speed difference between fully encrypted ond /home only encrypted systems
4. Will XTS-AES algorithm work with Robertek's zen-kernel (which I'm planing to use)?

And remember, the question is not wether you are paranoid. The question is wether you are paranoid enough! wink

#2 2008-10-31 13:28:45

bender02

Re: Disk encryption on Asus Eee PC 1000H

heinz wrote:

4. Will XTS-AES algorithm work with Robertek's zen-kernel (which I'm planing to use)?

The short answer is yes. The long answer: Robertek's zen kernel config is here. For full disk encryption you'll need some kernel modules that are compiled as modules (ie not in the kernel itself) [eg. xts, dm-crypt, dm-mod] - so his kernel will be usable, if you'll use initramfs (that's the default on arch systems).

Board footer