You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-31 17:31:53

kwo

Standby requires waking up twice

Hi there,

I have a Thinkpad X61s.  Upon waking up from standby, it immediately goes back to sleep.  I have to wake it up again and it is back to normal.  lol behaves kind of like me in the morning

Anybody have this issue?  Thanks.

#2 2008-10-31 19:29:53

XFire

Re: Standby requires waking up twice

My computer does this too at times, and my laptop. My PC also has a tendency of being put into suspend and then waking up immediately after.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#3 2008-10-31 23:08:41

Kane

i also have the same problem, after a "fresh boot" pushing the power button on my desktop pc (which i have set up to sleep) turns it off, but then it comes back on again, and i have to press the power button a second time for it to sleep. After resuming from sleep (without rebooting) if i press the power button again all works fine, until the next time i boot.

Sometimes it also boots up (from sleep) and goes back to sleep again, like in the original post.

I thought it must have been my power button sticking or something tongue

#4 2008-11-01 15:14:15

kjon

No, the problem is the pm-utils. Depending on the way you're using to suspend, you need to disable the acpi event which triggers the suspension, or, disable the suspend function of the gnome-utils.  That's how I solved the problem.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#5 2008-11-01 15:26:46

Kane

kjon, cant u explain a bit please?

why disable the acpi event?

#6 2008-11-01 18:30:39

kjon

For example, in my case, I got an EEE 900, which runs xfce. Before I upgraded to 2.6.27, my computer needed an acpi event (defined at /etc/acpi/event) in order to perform the pre and post sleep actions in order to fulfill a successfull suspend. However, once the new kernel was installed, the suspension was triggered twice as you said on your previous post.

Here is my acpi event related to the sleep event

event=button/sleep SLPB 00000080
#action=pm-suspend-hybrid

as you see, I commented the 'action', to avoid the double triggering of the sleep command.

I also, fix the computer of a friend of mine **disabling** the hotkey of gnome-power-manager, in order to let the kernel manage the suspend process. This is exacty the opposite of the original solution. What you need to do is let the kernel or gnome-power-manager (or whatever energy-admin-applet you might use) to handle these events, not both!.

I hope it helps.

p.s. You might want to look at pm-utils wiki page, if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

Last edited by kjon (2008-11-01 18:32:14)

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#7 2008-12-29 01:54:01

john_schaf

On my laptop (samsung NC10) I have that problem too :
after resuming from suspend, it goes to suspend again !

I found that actually the sleep key is recorded twice (look at /var/log/everything.log) by acpid !
So disabling the handling by acpid (edit /etc/acpi/handler.sh) and using xbindkeys to bind the sleep key to pm-suspend kinda solves the problem (from X)

#8 2009-01-24 15:28:47

mmmasterluke

I have the same problem as the OP. I put 'pm-suspend' into /etc/acpi/handler.sh under 'button/lid'. Suspend works but it immediately goes to sleep again after the first wake up.

I don't understand where I could comment out the addtional second call to pm-suspend like suggested above. If I uncomment it, nothing happens at all (as expected). Where does this other call take place?

Can anyone give me a hint where to look?

#9 2009-01-25 00:05:04

koch

#10 2009-01-25 00:23:39

mmmasterluke

I'll just go back to gnome-power-manager. It works as expected.

#11 2009-01-29 23:40:10

bwh1969

I had a similar issue, but I think in an odd combination where two suspend/resume methods/scripts were conflicting and now that I read this post, I know why.  I have an acpi package installed for my fn buttons, but the actions were calling scripts that did not work properly on my machine or it was obvious that they were both activated.  I did not want to totally disable the acpi because I want the fn buttons to work so:

Solved it here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64180

Last edited by bwh1969 (2009-01-29 23:43:20)

#12 2009-01-30 00:11:24

kjon

Err... I think i've found a solution to all my suspend issues. I don't know the philosophy behind it, so don' ask big_smile.
What I did was to add highres=off to my grub to disable the high resolution timer

HPET: 3 timers in total, 0 timers will be used for per-cpu timer

and add a echo 1024 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq to rc.local. (Or you can add to a profile's script... )

hehehe... and I was able to suspend and resume normally big_smile. I really don't know why this thing works, but if I remove any of these tweaks my computer fails miserably on suspending/hibernating.

I hope it helps.

Last edited by kjon (2009-01-30 00:12:09)

#13 2009-03-29 21:50:23

tomk
Forum Fellow

chulleman, you should find a forum, or other resource, that provides windows support. This is the Arch Linux forum.

#14 2011-11-27 16:59:40

mokkurkalve

Sorry for Dead Thread Resurrection... ;-)
...But the described problem started happening to me a short while ago. I'm on a Acer Aspire One D150 notebook. I run LXDE desktop and don't want more gnome cruft than I have to. I have /usr/sbin/pm-suspend in /etc/acpi/handler.sh as lid action to get suspend when I close the lid. This have worked flawlessly for a couple of years. But suddenly, round about the time we got 3.1.x kernels I think, this started to behave differently. When I have suspended by closing the lid, then comng out of suspension by pressing the power button, the notebook comes out of supension for some 30 seconds or something, then goes back to sleep and have to be woken a second time... I haven't figured it out and no investigation into the hints offered previously in this thread have helped... Anybody knows anything that happend recently that can explain this....?

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
- Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

#15 2011-11-27 18:51:52

ri

mokkurkalve wrote:

Sorry for Dead Thread Resurrection... ;-)
...But the described problem started happening to me a short while ago. I'm on a Acer Aspire One D150 notebook. I run LXDE desktop and don't want more gnome cruft than I have to. I have /usr/sbin/pm-suspend in /etc/acpi/handler.sh as lid action to get suspend when I close the lid. This have worked flawlessly for a couple of years. But suddenly, round about the time we got 3.1.x kernels I think, this started to behave differently. When I have suspended by closing the lid, then comng out of suspension by pressing the power button, the notebook comes out of supension for some 30 seconds or something, then goes back to sleep and have to be woken a second time... I haven't figured it out and no investigation into the hints offered previously in this thread have helped... Anybody knows anything that happend recently that can explain this....?

See this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1019222

#16 2011-11-27 19:22:51

mokkurkalve

Mine was LID0. Thanks! That worked. :-D

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
- Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

#17 2011-11-27 19:41:33

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

All right then, old thread resurrected, problem solved.
To prevent more necro, closing.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer