You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-31 22:38:43

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

[solved]Switched from oss-linux-free to oss, now I get no sound

EDIT: After asking on the OSS forum, I was able fix the issue by using the latest source from the Mercurial repository. I've submitted a PKGBUILD to the AUR. Get it here.

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card and have been using the oss-linux-free AUR pkg for about 2 months without too many problems. Today I noticed that oss was in community so I checked the wiki and decided to switch over to that (preferring the official repos over the AUR). I've run through the setup, configured the default card, but I still get no sound.

Quick info:
My /usr/lib/oss/etc/installed_drivers contains this:

oss_sbxfi #Creative SB X-Fi *EARLY BETA*
oss_hdaudio #Intel High Definition Audio (P35)
oss_usb #Generic USB audio/MIDI device (BETA)

Ossxmixer shows my x-fi card as the first tab and whenever I play sound with any app, the meter on the mixer for this card shows activity. I can hear some faint buzz when I first start playing sound, occasionally even a quick part of what I should hear (less than a second).

osstest tests my x-fi card first and reports "OK" for all tests related to this card. I get sound from the onboard card when the osstest gets to it (when I plug my headphones into the onboard card's jacks).

This can't be a bios setting because this card works with oss-linux-free and I haven't changed anything. I've double-checked that I'm connected to the right jack to make sure that it isn't something as silly as that.

Also, in my rc.conf file, I have this in the daemons array

@oss !alsa

and this in the modules array

!snd-mixer-oss !snd-pcm-oss !snd-hwdep !snd-page-alloc !snd-pcm !snd-timer !snd !snd-hda-intel !soundcore

(otherwise I get errors during boot)

and yes, I have rebooted to see if that fixes the issue.

I'm out of ideas and can't find anything directly relevant on google. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, please don't tell me to "just use oss-linux-free if that worked".

Thanks.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-11-03 02:05:12)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2008-11-01 17:45:00

thotypous

Re: [solved]Switched from oss-linux-free to oss, now I get no sound

Hi Xyne,

Please note that the package from [community] is the 4.1_rc2 version, while the oss-linux-free package from AUR uses the 4.0.x series. So you could have found a bug that was introduced between these two versions, and I recommend you to look for help at http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/ too.

However, I found it strange that you had to blacklist the ALSA modules to be able to boot. These modules should be automatically disabled (by moving them away from /lib/modules) by the package install scripts and by the oss init scripts.

Do you still have any ALSA module in /lib/modules?

find /lib/modules -name 'snd*'

Regards

#3 2008-11-01 17:51:36

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Hi thotypous,

First, thanks for replying (and welcome to the forums tongue ).

I was still able to boot with them listed in my modules array, but bootup would complain about them (and I really think I saw "fatal error", even though it continued to boot).

The command returned nothing so I don't seem to have any ALSA module in /lib/modules.

I'll take a look at the OSS site. I wanted to check that this really was an upstream problem first.

Thanks again.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2008-11-01 17:55:31

byte

I'd recommend to remove the snd_ stuff from MODULES altogether. I've no clue as to why the installer puts them there; Udev would load them automatically anyway.

Board footer