You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-03 15:10:24

Cyrusm

how do I set acpi=off from livecd? [SOLVED]

I just got my new motherboard in, and I'm running into problems getting my system up and running again.
my first speed bump occured when the boot stopped at

SLUB: Genslabs=12, HWalign=32, Order=0-1, MinObjects=2, CPUs=2, Nodes=1

and I bypassed this by putting acpi=off in the kernel line on grub.

the boot continues until it says something about usb HID core driver (i'll edit this later with the actual line)

edit:

drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

and then stops again. 

Is there any way I can get passed this point? also, if I try to boot from the live cd, the boot stops at the first speed bump (the slub line)
how can I set the grub on the live cd to acpi=off and do a fresh install?

I've done quite a bit of googling and can't seem to find any useful info on this one,
any help?

Cyrusm

Last edited by Cyrusm (2008-12-09 02:27:53)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#2 2008-11-12 19:19:30

Cyrusm

Re: how do I set acpi=off from livecd? [SOLVED]

well, I did a fresh install off of my old motherboard and it works fine, but with my new motherboard the boot still stops at the
USB HID core driver line.  what can I do to get past this point, because it would suck if I blew 100+ dollars on a motherboard that
doesn't work.

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#3 2008-12-09 02:33:56

Cyrusm

Re: how do I set acpi=off from livecd? [SOLVED]

I'm going to have to thank Tpowa for this fix.  I used the latest Archboot cd (found at http://downloads.archlinux.de/iso/archboot/2008.12/ ).
boot options can be entered in and it contains arch64 set-up as well as the standard 32-bit setup on the same disk.
I'm super excited because now I don't have to have windows on my desktop anymore and I can get back to being productive.

If you want to install arch, or need a rescue disk, I recommend archboot.

Hofstadter's Law:

Board footer