You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-03 22:54:59

kevinf

setup order with new arch install.

I know this may sound like more of a headache than its worth, but its how I learn.

I've never touched anything but dos/windows outside a simple ssh connection to a linux box before. I consider myself to be slightly above average in intelligence although I dont know much about linux. This week I have managed to get the latest october.08 iso of arch installed onto my presario f700 laptop. Went with and setup openbox, tint, and pypanel....

My question to you fellas are, is there any documentation or resources that would help me in setting up the little things, like file association, recommendations on a good text editor, image viewer, and sound app. I already have plans on setting up MPD and Sonata for my music, but just quick and dirty sound player outside of aplay? wink

any, and I do mean any help/recommendations will be read thoroughly and thought about even moreso. Just please, please dont tell me to go use ubuntu. smile

#2 2008-11-03 23:02:07

Mikko777

Re: setup order with new arch install.

kevinf wrote:

I know this may sound like more of a headache than its worth, but its how I learn.

I've never touched anything but dos/windows outside a simple ssh connection to a linux box before. I consider myself to be slightly above average in intelligence although I dont know much about linux. This week I have managed to get the latest october.08 iso of arch installed onto my presario f700 laptop. Went with and setup openbox, tint, and pypanel....

My question to you fellas are, is there any documentation or resources that would help me in setting up the little things, like file association, recommendations on a good text editor, image viewer, and sound app. I already have plans on setting up MPD and Sonata for my music, but just quick and dirty sound player outside of aplay? wink

any, and I do mean any help/recommendations will be read thoroughly and thought about even moreso. Just please, please dont tell me to go use ubuntu. smile

Ooh you've managed to read the Wiki! big_smile

Now you need to search the forum for cli apps and openbox setup too smile

Fileassociation i think is handled by the DE and or the filebrowser you use.

best text editors are: vim, kate, and some latex frontend.
Imageviewers theres tons. feh, mirage for one.

Musics -> moc and amarok own.

#3 2008-11-04 00:31:08

ferral-cat

I usually look on this site for hardware specific considertaion of linux on a certain laptop:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/compaq.html

But I dont see yours listed there.  In the list maybe you can see a variant or similar model to yours? 

I hope u are well versed in linux because you are embarking on an uphill climb.  Sheesh, just getting Ubuntu on my old Presario V2414 laptop just about drove me nuts. 

The issue I had was with the wifi card and when I would press the button to turn it off on the laptop then there was no way to turn the wifi back on unless I booted into Windows XP and enabled it there and then rebooted again. 

Ironically today that laptop has died around the 3 year old mark.  It wont power on anymore even after buying a new battery.

#4 2008-11-04 00:47:31

kevinf

ahh, thank you for the suggestions! although Ive already got the base system working with arch. I'm now in the process of just searching for *nix programs, perhaps a searchable database would be awesome.

#5 2008-11-04 01:31:58

kevinf

ahh, here is another question.... wireless networking software? right now I pretty much made my own little script to connect to my home network from the console. there a decent X program that will make connecting to different networks easier?

#6 2008-11-04 05:17:15

OneEyedPimp

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wir … Management

There is a little list if you hadn't seen it before. In my opinion, I really like wicd. Truth be told, I am having some teething troubles with the release that I have, but I haven't updated in a while, so hopefully that will be remedied. Wicd is nice as it bundles all of your network related stuff into one gui/program/manager.

EDIT: oh yeah wifi-radar is also great. I used to use that exclusively, but it had some problems with my wireless card that I have now as it is a Broadcom card.

Last edited by OneEyedPimp (2008-11-04 05:18:51)

#7 2008-11-04 11:15:46

Mikko777

kevinf wrote:

ahh, thank you for the suggestions! although Ive already got the base system working with arch. I'm now in the process of just searching for *nix programs, perhaps a searchable database would be awesome.

www.opendesktop.org cool

#8 2008-11-04 16:57:46

kevinf

more great suggestions! I'm checking out wicd right now.

opendesktop.org... i guess if I could take a minute to google I would have found it. thanks again!

Board footer