You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-04 06:53:59

neok
Website

[SOLVED] Please help me fix my website's rendering problem in Firefox.

Hi,

I have a strange rendering inconsistency with my website when viewed in Firefox. When I browse my website locally from the hard disk, it renders correctly as per the Preferences->Contents settings. But when I visit it on the internet server, everything (fonts, images and other objects) look smaller. This difference persits even if I save the index file to disk and then view it locally, that is the downloaded index file looks right even though viewed on the server everything is rendered smaller.

Eventually the problem cleared once I renamed ~/.mozilla so that firefox created a new ~/.mozilla config directory. I setup Preferences again as previously and moved some files from the old .mozilla to the new one, looking for a possible culprit but the problem did not reappear. I also tried removing various files from the old .mozilla, clearing the cache etc but the problem persisted.

So, my conclusion, something was wrong in some file in the original ~/.mozilla. I would have liked to find out what, but anyhow, its now rendering local/remote pages identically. :-)

My thanks for the help/suggestions.

Last edited by neok (2008-11-05 06:30:30)

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

#2 2008-11-04 08:30:33

xaiviax

Re: [SOLVED] Please help me fix my website's rendering problem in Firefox.

Not sure if this helps, but for me (arch, swiftfox, gnome) your page renders exactly the same on the web, as a local file, and locally hosted with apache.

#3 2008-11-04 13:08:05

neok
Website

xaiviax wrote:

Not sure if this helps, but for me (arch, swiftfox, gnome) your page renders exactly the same on the web, as a local file, and locally hosted with apache.

Well, I guess its an indication that there is either a problem in firefox or that there is something wrong in my html that effects only firefox (so far). I guess more tests will be needed with other installs and browsers to pinpoint the problem.

Thank for testing!

Regards

#4 2008-11-04 13:49:36

mrunion
Website

Can you post screenshots of the difference?

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#5 2008-11-04 14:16:31

neok
Website

mrunion wrote:

Can you post screenshots of the difference?

Sure: I uploaded them (unlinked) to my website:
http://5b4az.chronos.org.uk/website.jpg
http://5b4az.chronos.org.uk/local.jpg

I also installed some other browsers (opera, amaya, dillo) but they all render both local and remote files identically. So far only firefox seems inconsistent.

Regards

#6 2008-11-04 14:42:57

pdincubus
Website

hi neok,

looks like the only difference is font size. when it comes to trying to keep everything uniform across browsers, you're probably best to use a bit of CSS to tell the page the font sizes. If you don't have a stylesheet set up you can add a bit of code into you <head>:

<style type="text/css">
body { font: 14px arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; }
</style>

or change the values to the size you want default text to be. If you want to keep it as times (serif) instead, you can change it to:

<style type="text/css">
body { font: 14px 'times new roman', georgia, times, serif; }
</style>

Georgia looks much nicer than times or times new roman on screen, and as for linux alternatives, you can probably specify any you prefer, just make sure they're inside quote marks as i've done times new roman.

hope this helps. smile

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // 4GB RAM // GEForce 9800GT 512MB PCI-E // 2 x 250GB SATA in LVM2 setup // 1TB SATA Storage Drive // 1680x1050 LCD

#7 2008-11-04 16:45:58

neok
Website

pdincubus wrote:

hi neok,

looks like the only difference is font size. when it comes to trying to keep everything uniform across browsers, you're probably best to use a bit of CSS to tell the page the font sizes. If you don't have a stylesheet set up you can add a bit of code into you <head>:

OK, I can add the font specification if I don't find the bug, but the thing I don't understand is why there is any difference between the rendering of the local page and the remote page. They should be the same since the html code is identical. Anyhow, computers! ;-)

Thanks.

Regards

Board footer