You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-05 10:59:50

hrobeers

[solved] restore broken kernel

Hellow,

I had the problem that my external HDD wouldn't mount anymore since the last -Syu. So I downgraded hal and udev, but no effect so I restored them. Than I thought maybe it's the new kernel. So I downgraded it with pacman -U kernel...pkg.tar.gz and it crashed while it was installing.
I had to reboot but my computer didn't boot anymore.

I'm now in slax (OS on usbstick), wich works great but I want my arch back. Is there a way to restore my kernel? (from within slax or ...)?

I have seperate /home and /var partitions and I can recover my config files so reinstalling is an option. But is there an other way (putting files back)?

PS: Is "pacman -U kernel...pkg.tar.gz" a bad way to downgrade?

I'm just registered so little intro: I use arch for 2 months now and I love it. This is my first issue with arch. Before arch I used ubuntu 6.06-7.10, ubuntu8.04 base install with openbox, debian (debian really sucks), arch
Now I use kdemod+openbox in arch, I love KDE I always thought gnome was better but it isn't.

Last edited by hrobeers (2008-11-05 14:30:16)

#2 2008-11-05 14:29:41

hrobeers

Re: [solved] restore broken kernel

Ok sorry it's just on the wiki.
So I did this:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_panic

I'll have to get used to the superb arch wiki. I already used it a lot but I always forget to look there for troubleshooting.

so problem solved and my external HD mounts with the previous kernel

sorry for the spam

Board footer