You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-06 10:13:27

Wynter

Alsa sound problem

Hello. I just installed Arch Linux now, I got it working fine with the network, I am following the beginners guide, I reached the part with setting up sound, I installed alsa-utils and made the sound louder with alsamixer, and I added the 'alsa' daemon in etc/rc.conf and I added my user account to the 'sound' group, then I tried to play the sound file with
"aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav" but I get no sound, my sound hardware is an onboard Realtek ALC883 sound chip
can somebody help me? thanks.

Last edited by Wynter (2008-11-06 10:14:55)

#2 2008-11-06 10:38:18

deej

Re: Alsa sound problem

Strange that, I'm having the same problem with playing "aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav" - although my sound system does work !
Just to check that yours works, go to "/usr/share/sounds" and right-click KDE_Startup_new.wav. Then "Open With..." and select 'Dragon Player' from the
Multimedia group. This ought to play OK. If it doesn't, from the main menu ( 'Start' button in Windoze-ish ) select System Settings -> Sound. Click on each
section in the left panel and ensure that your Preferred Device is at the top of the list in the right-panel - use the 'Prefer' button to move it up, if it isn't.
Re-check "KDE_Startup_new.wav".

Hope this helps. Strange thing about Front_Centre.wav though - it always used to work... more investigation required.

Deej

#3 2008-11-06 11:19:06

Wynter

Re: Alsa sound problem

I figured out why it didn't work. I did a mistake, I added my user to group 'sound' instead of 'audio' and that was the mistake, sorry for rushing to ask here before thinking about it well.

Board footer