You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-08 01:36:16

ralvez
Website

SSH,SFTP fails under krusader

Does any one here use Krusader?
I have problems using it with ssh or sftp or even with fish. I get "Protocol not supported by Krusader"
I have not been able to find any forums online that provide a way to make this work. Some describe using avahi-daemon but that did not work for me neither sad

Is there some kio files I may need to add? I remember that under KDE3 it depended on KIO (and I did  have it working in KDE3 just fine)

Any help/ideas to solve the problem will be appreciated.

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2008-11-08 01:36:51)

#2 2008-11-09 19:47:50

eyolf
Website

Re: SSH,SFTP fails under krusader

krusader used to be the fourth application I started (after mutt, raggle and firefox), and it was my fixed point throughout a working session. But since kde4, I have hardly been using it at all, precisely for the reason you mention (not only ssh -- there are other "protocol not supported" messages too, where things used to work flawlessly).
I haven't really worked with KDE4, because I switched to awesome at about the same time as I "upgraded" kde, but I must say, my impressions so far are, ehem, rather negative on the whole. It looks nice, but so does Vista...

#3 2008-11-09 20:03:11

ralvez
Website

@ eyolf

Appreciate the posting.
I had the same situation as you. KDE 4.x rather sucks (honesty can be cruel at times wink) and I had to find a workable solution. As a result, I went to E17 for awhile but I did not fee 100% at home there so I jumped to Openbox. The only reason I have kept KDE 4 in the system is so I can use the file manager (dolphin does a reasonable work at file management) but I have started to test for alternatives to get rid of KDE. So far I cannot claim a great success with file managers that look sleek (have a modern look) and are efficient and fully featured.

If anyone else has any ideas as to how to fix the problem, please post.  I'm sure there will be many people in these forums that will be thankful to have a working solution... including me cool

R.

#4 2008-11-09 21:43:34

eyolf
Website

Openbox seems ok, but I must say: once I had gotten the tiling wm concept under my skin, there is no turning back for me. Now, it's mostly a matter of choosing between awesome, wmii and xmonad.
I'd like to see a working KDE4, though.
(That said, moving away from kde has also been an eye-opener: it has forced me to figure out more about how the system actually works -- what goes on under the surface? what is it that the kio slaves do? how does automounting work? what can I do if something doesn't work? Etc.)

#5 2008-11-09 22:43:54

Rasi
Website

Krusader and SSH works just fine here....

krusaderte2.th.pngthpix.gif

Last edited by Rasi (2008-11-09 22:44:15)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#6 2008-11-09 23:00:16

ralvez
Website

@Rasi,

Can you tell us how you configured it? I installed fish but it is not recognized as a protocol

R.

#7 2008-11-09 23:42:11

Rasi
Website

ralvez wrote:

@Rasi,

Can you tell us how you configured it? I installed fish but it is not recognized as a protocol

R.

I didnt do anything, except for installing krusader-svn from kdemod-playground tongue
And another thing might be, that i am running kde4 trunk... if thats the problem it will be fixed in 4.2 smile

If you use old krusader from [extra] it will search for kde3 kio slaves, which dont exist in kde4 of course.

Last edited by Rasi (2008-11-09 23:43:02)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#8 2008-11-10 00:40:10

ralvez
Website

Hum ... I had also a suspicion that the problem could be KDE 4.x related since it is an unfinished product.
I know of the dependencies on the KIO slaves and just as it happened with Quanta Plus in which the "upgrade" rendered unusable a host of features it is possible that the same happened to Krusader.

R.

#9 2008-11-10 01:55:04

eyolf
Website

ralvez wrote:

@Rasi,
R.

If you mean the package called fish, it has nothing to do with kde; it's a shell which can be used instead of bash/zsh, and not the kio-fish,. which (I believe) comes with kde(mod)-kdebase-runtime.

#10 2008-11-10 02:42:45

ralvez
Website

@ eyolf,

Yes, I know fish is independent.
Rasi states that his krusader works just fine and uses fish:// as a working protocol; what I mean is that I tried it too and added the package to my system but even then it is not recognized as a valid protocol. In other words: the problem goes beyond having support for fish.

R.

#11 2008-11-10 07:51:54

Rasi
Website

ralvez wrote:

@ eyolf,

Yes, I know fish is independent.
Rasi states that his krusader works just fine and uses fish:// as a working protocol; what I mean is that I tried it too and added the package to my system but even then it is not recognized as a valid protocol. In other words: the problem goes beyond having support for fish.

R.

As i've said, if you update to kdemod-unstable it should work fine.. It also comes with a huge speed improvement.

Douglas Adams

#12 2008-11-10 22:31:13

ralvez
Website

Rasi,

I appreciate that if I "move" to kdemod it would work but I'm using Openbox now and I'm happy with it, so in an attempt to have a good file manager (not using KDE) I was hoping to get krusader going.

R.

#13 2008-11-10 23:37:12

Rasi
Website

ralvez wrote:

Rasi,

I appreciate that if I "move" to kdemod it would work but I'm using Openbox now and I'm happy with it, so in an attempt to have a good file manager (not using KDE) I was hoping to get krusader going.

R.

Ehm.. for krusader you need kde anyway... what difference does it make if you have kdemod-unstable/kdemod or extra/kde

Last edited by Rasi (2008-11-10 23:37:37)

Douglas Adams

#14 2008-11-10 23:45:43

ralvez
Website

Rasi,

According to Krusader's web site KDE is not necessary http://www.krusader.org/ :

Krusader .. is an advanced twin panel (commander style) file manager for KDE and other desktops in the *nix world, similar to Midnight or Total Commander. It provides all the file management features you could possibly want.

Now, I know there are dependencies specific for KDE but I'm under the impression (based on their description of the program) that it should work just fine with Openbox.

R.

#15 2008-11-11 09:56:24

Rasi
Website

ralvez wrote:

Rasi,

According to Krusader's web site KDE is not necessary http://www.krusader.org/ :

Krusader .. is an advanced twin panel (commander style) file manager for KDE and other desktops in the *nix world, similar to Midnight or Total Commander. It provides all the file management features you could possibly want.

Now, I know there are dependencies specific for KDE but I'm under the impression (based on their description of the program) that it should work just fine with Openbox.

R.

*sigh*

its correct that it works with openbox, still it needs kdebase, otherwise you wont have the KIO slaves for ssh/sftp/etc... and as 4.1 kdebase seems to be broken regarding KIO, i advised you to update your kdebase package to the one from kdemod-unstable.

Apart from that you didnt answer my question: are you using krusader from [extra] or the svn version?
Krusader from [extra] will NOT work with any kdebase4 package, only with kdebase3

Last edited by Rasi (2008-11-11 10:01:59)

Douglas Adams

#16 2008-11-11 11:53:53

FreakGuard

perhaps you need the kio for ssh

#17 2008-11-11 12:24:54

ralvez
Website

@FreakGuard,

Is that a package? Can you tell me its name in the repos?

R.

#18 2008-11-11 13:54:41

Rasi
Website

ralvez wrote:

@FreakGuard,

Is that a package? Can you tell me its name in the repos?

R.

kdebase-runtime contains kio-fish, but again: this will not work without kdelibs/kdebase...

Last edited by Rasi (2008-11-11 13:55:23)

Douglas Adams

#19 2008-12-09 22:13:45

brazzmonkey

i'm having similar issues with konqueror and dolphin. any workaround ?

what goes up must come down

Board footer