You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-08 04:11:51

qdiesel

Which linux filesystem is capable of easy and reliable undelete?

I'm constantly removing something by accident and don't have too much space or time for back-ups sad

#2 2008-11-08 04:21:46

iBertus

Re: Which linux filesystem is capable of easy and reliable undelete?

I don't think such a thing as reliable undelete exists...

#3 2008-11-08 04:26:18

Stythys
Website

what do you mean you don't have "time" for backups? my backups are automatic, therefore "no time" smile

also, about space, my 35GB partition backs up to a 2GB partition big_smile. yep, linux can do some amazing things....

Last edited by Stythys (2008-11-08 04:27:18)

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#4 2008-11-08 05:26:51

N30N

I recovered some accidentally deleted files a few months ago with ext3grep, it worked great.

#5 2008-11-08 06:26:25

dav7

You could modify rm to move files to some other location like /home/.trash...

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#6 2008-11-08 06:41:04

pelle.k

ext2.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#7 2008-11-08 08:59:00

archlinuxsagi

Stythys wrote:

what do you mean you don't have "time" for backups? my backups are automatic, therefore "no time" smile

also, about space, my 35GB partition backs up to a 2GB partition big_smile. yep, linux can do some amazing things....

Wow.. How do u do that? using LVM?

#8 2008-11-08 12:37:55

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

qdiesel wrote:

I'm constantly removing something by accident and don't have too much space or time for back-ups sad

At the moment you have written 1 byte to the disc after doing a rm, then the data is comprimised. Don't even think about relying undeleating stuff. Clean up your disc, use compression when fitting, and go and buy/steal/loan/whatever yourself a new hd.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#9 2008-11-08 13:52:27

qdiesel

Mr.Elendig wrote:

At the moment you have written 1 byte to the disc after doing a rm, then the data is comprimised.

Well, that's exactly what I asked about. Is there a filesystem which tries to preserve the contents of freshly erased file?

dav7 wrote:

You could modify rm to move files to some other location like /home/.trash...

But you still have to clear that /home/.trash, so that's exactly the same thing i suppose.

#10 2008-11-09 11:09:58

pelle.k

Well, that's exactly what I asked about. Is there a filesystem which tries to preserve the contents of freshly erased file?

I don't think so. However, as i previsouly pointed out, ext2 is probably the best choice for easy undelete.
- "In order to ensure that ext3 can safely resume an unlink after a crash, it actually zeros out the block pointers in the inode, whereas ext2 just marks these blocks as unused in the block bitmaps and marks the inode as "deleted" and leaves the block pointers alone."
That said, i've had good experience with ext3grep as well.

At the moment you have written 1 byte to the disc after doing a rm, then the data is comprimised.

It doesn't necessarily happen at once. In either case, you should mount the partition read-only as soon as possible.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#11 2008-11-09 11:58:58

iphitus
Forum Fellow

You're not fixing the problem. You're just building on bad practice with more bad practice. This is asking for trouble.

rm is a big hammer, you've got to use it carefully! phrak^H^H^H^HSkeletor doesnt throw cars at just anyone.

If you must insist on being careless with rm, have a look at a solution like libtrash. Undelete is not something you can rely on, it is going to be a dirty hack at best.

If you're deleting things because of low drive space, create some space. Burn long term data to disc or buy a larger drive. If you're deleting things to keep your free space quota high, don't -- the space is there, use it wisely. Or organise your data so you don't accidentally remove the wrong thing. When I clean out my drive, I don't delete things immediately. I sort things out, filter unwanted things into a temp trash folder and then process that folder properly.

Further, there's no such thing as no time/space for backups. Large USB drives are dirt cheap, or even a few gb of flash drive is enough for most important non-media documents/backups. It's about $10 per gb per year from online vendors like godaddy which you can use for remote backup. $10 a year is literally poo change. Or just burn to CD-R/DVD-R every few months.

James

Last edited by iphitus (2008-11-09 12:01:32)

Board footer