You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-08 09:08:04

sessy

How to sync a large music collection with iPod?

When i started using my ipod, i used gtkpod to upload all my music to the player, no problem.

But how should i synchronize the changes of my collection to the ipod?

Sometimes i delete and/or rename albums, save missing tracks, update/fix the id3 tags of the files, plus i download a lot of music. So the files on my computer change daily.

Using gtkpod works, but i have to keep track of all the changes and only upload the new albums and update the changed tracks. This gets boring really quickly roll I can use "add directory" to re-add all my files, but it takes an hour to update everything...

I'm looking for something automated, like how rsync or unison works. Please let me know if you know a better way smile

[Ipodfs, fusepod does not work. Rockbox + rsync would be a solution, but i don't like Rockbox]

#2 2008-11-09 12:21:02

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: How to sync a large music collection with iPod?

gnupod might be useful, it's a set of CLI based scripts that are much more flexible.

#3 2008-11-09 14:39:00

sessy

Thanks, will try that too. Right now i'm back to Rockbox & rsync roll

#4 2008-11-10 21:23:47

simongmzlj

I dont really think there is a good solution yet. Gtkpod is clumsy and slow with big libraries (10000+ songs) and gnupod had its own set of issues. It started grouping artists that started with "The" under "T" as opposed to the iTunes/Gtkpod way of ignoring "The" and place it with whatever letter followed. I found that far too annoying.

Board footer