You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-09 23:28:44

andrew123456

kernel panic at boot

hey everyone, hoping for a speedy answer to this, as my only computer is now broken (i'm running an arch live cd w/ links to post this)

so what happens is i get a kernel panic when i boot my machine; it's before the harddrive is mounted (i think) and there doesn't seem to be much i can do about it.

my laptop worked fine yesterday (and i haven't done any upgrades yesterday or any tinkering - just homework) and when i turn it on today i get something along these lines:

this is paraphrased as i can't copy/paste it

oops! ... preempt smp

...kinit not tainted...
EIP: do_one_pass...[jbd]

all that's happened is my laptop didn't get shut off properly last time, and this time i pressed the function buttons when i was booting and got some wierd message about unrecognized function and had to hard-reboot it. since then i can't get anything but a kernel panic.

someone please help me; i've got an assignment to finish for tomorrow and this is my only computer.

#2 2008-11-10 00:13:15

byte

Re: kernel panic at boot

As you're already on a live cd, run an fsck on your Arch partition(s).

#3 2008-11-10 01:13:34

andrew123456

thanks, i tried. that.

i still don't know what the issue was, but rolling back to my previous kernel did the trick.
which is confusing to me, because i installed the new kernel on friday, and used my laptop all saturday (with a few reboots) and it didn't act up until the following day?

anyone have any insight as to why?

#4 2008-11-20 14:33:41

japetto

No insight here, but I did have an issue with the latest Arch kernel too.  I rolled back and was successful as well.

Board footer