You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-10 19:01:42

band-aid

Lost power, /tmp permissions screwed and cannot suspend or hibernate

Everything was working fine a week ago. I did a pacman -Syu and restarted afterwards. My computer had not been "shut down" since then, I just suspend it with pm-suspend. Last night I had a large download going so I left it on overnight plugged in. At some point, the surge protector failed and the laptop ran out of battery power. When I turned it on this morning firefox would not start under my standard user stating that it could not write some orbit file in /tmp. I tried to write a text file to /tmp as my standard user using vim and it did not have permission to do so. I can write to /tmp as root so I think my permissions are wrong.

Also, I can no longer suspend, it gives this error.

error: libhal_ctx_set_dbus_connection: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFount: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory.

Any suggestions? Should I just reinstall?

#2 2008-11-10 19:12:37

Ramses de Norre

Re: Lost power, /tmp permissions screwed and cannot suspend or hibernate

No, you should reboot as that should clean out /tmp.

#3 2008-11-10 19:16:46

band-aid

I have rebooted several times today as I am at school and do not have a way to suspend it between uses. As far as I can tell rebooting doesn't help or hurt the situation.

#4 2008-11-10 22:57:00

band-aid

Ok, after a bit of investigation it appears that my swap (which tmp was in I believe) is not created as /dev/mapper/sda2 and made into swap like it was on startup before. Now it is mounted as /dev/shm? Did this come from the last update and how do I get my encrypted swap back?

EDIT: Fixed. People, please don't be like me. I did not keep up with my logs and they grew to 47 gigs taking up all free space in my root partition which caused the aforementioned problems.

Last edited by band-aid (2008-11-11 00:11:17)

#5 2008-11-11 08:28:33

Dheart

band-aid wrote:

Ok, after a bit of investigation it appears that my swap (which tmp was in I believe) is not created as /dev/mapper/sda2 and made into swap like it was on startup before. Now it is mounted as /dev/shm? Did this come from the last update and how do I get my encrypted swap back?

EDIT: Fixed. People, please don't be like me. I did not keep up with my logs and they grew to 47 gigs taking up all free space in my root partition which caused the aforementioned problems.

47 Gigs logs means there is something VERY wrong going on... Normally nothing would produce luch large logs...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

Board footer