You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-13 00:09:59

cyberpatrol

Outdated package

Hi!

I know, this question is asked several times here in the forums, but I have to ask, too.

What can be done, if a package in extra is outdated since 1 1/2 months and the new version fixes some major bugs?

The package is marked as outdated since more than a month, and in the meantime I e-mailed the maintainer twice, to ask him to update this package, but unfortunately I didn't get an answer, and the package is still not updated. I of course gave him the reason, why I was asking him directly, because I didn't and don't want to be impolite.

I know that I could rebuild it by ABS, but I don't think, that this is the best way, especially because in my opinion it's a pretty important update.

#2 2008-11-13 03:18:23

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Outdated package

It may not be everyones idea of the best way, but it is the way of this distribution. When all else fails, it requires a DIY attitude--as you said, this is a topic covered in great length throughout these forums.

It may help to know what package we're discussing. Is it a case of a really convoluted build script, or is it that you aren't comfortable using ABS?

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2008-11-13 18:04:50

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

sed -i 's|$OLDPKGVERSION|$NEWPKGVERSION|' PKGBUILD
makepkg -g *
makepkg -c

* Second step is only needed if MD5SUMs are present in the PKGBUILD, replace the checksums in the PKGBUILD with the output

Install package as root

Win

Last edited by B (2008-11-13 18:05:31)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2008-11-13 21:50:53

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

cyberpatrol wrote:

Hi!

I know, this question is asked several times here in the forums, but I have to ask, too.

What can be done, if a package in extra is outdated since 1 1/2 months and the new version fixes some major bugs?

The package is marked as outdated since more than a month, and in the meantime I e-mailed the maintainer twice, to ask him to update this package, but unfortunately I didn't get an answer, and the package is still not updated. I of course gave him the reason, why I was asking him directly, because I didn't and don't want to be impolite.

I know that I could rebuild it by ABS, but I don't think, that this is the best way, especially because in my opinion it's a pretty important update.

Some of our maintainers are busy these days. In cases like this, I'd be fine with a personal email. I can find someone else to rebuild the package if needs be. What package are we talking about here?

#5 2008-11-13 22:25:24

kensai
Website

roll Maybe someone would have upgraded it already if the package was mentioned in the first place. So which is the mysterious package behind curtain #1?

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#6 2008-11-14 00:48:25

godane
Website

I think we need to add a search option for out dated packages. tongue

This is cause you can't tell when a package is out dated. Only when it was last updated. This could help developers know what packages are marked out dated and when they were marked out dated.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm working on a live cds based on Archlinux. http://godane.wordpress.com/

#7 2008-11-14 03:44:12

Allan
Pacman
Website

godane wrote:

I think we need to add a search option for out dated packages. tongue

This is cause you can't tell when a package is out dated. Only when it was last updated. This could help developers know what packages are marked out dated and when they were marked out dated.

Just my 2 cents.

The internal dev site allows us to see what packages are out of date fairly easily.

Board footer