You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-13 20:02:26

josomebody

Thermal sensors reporting wrong values.

On my old laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1000, suddenly today the acpi THRM started reporting temperatures like 30 degrees celsius higher than they actually were. This is making it shutdown pretty quickly after startup. Since last time it worked right, I upgraded it to kernel26-2.7.5-1. I downgraded it to 4-1 and still the same problem. I checked to see if it was a hardware problem by putting an old Debian harddrive in it and booting that, and it works fine, and reports realistic temperatures. It won't boot Arch with acpi turned off in Grub for some reason. Past that, I can't keep it running long enough to see what's going on. Anybody have any ideas?

: () { : | :& } ;:

#2 2008-11-25 06:25:18

josomebody

Re: Thermal sensors reporting wrong values.

Bump. I managed to keep it up long enough to update to the latest kernel, still not working. I get a write error when I try to change the trip points (allowed write access by root). I would post some logs and dmesg, but it shuts down very shortly after running anything at all. I guess the next thing to try would be tinkering with it in a meat locker and see if that'll keep it under 65C.
I really don't feel like fooling around with Debian on this thing.

: () { : | :& } ;:

Board footer