You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-14 02:03:22

ljshap

C++ gui questions

I know there was a recent what is the best gui for c/c++ programming so I wouldn't dare start another one.  I'll probably stick with QT for a while and see where that goes, although it would probably be a good idea to learn ncurses as well. 

1)  Does anybody know of a ncurses toolkit that is equivalent to dialog for bash.  Although I only "played" with dialog a little, it seems remarkable easy and polished.  I really was impressed when I found out the Arch installer was written in bash and used dialog.

2)  I'm curious as to any opinions on QTdesigner and QDevelop.   QDevelop seems pretty nice as an ide, but I don't want to spend too much time with it only to discover its limitations down the road.  It seems like you still have to write your slot connections manually, but QTdesigner "seems" to give you a head start on the design process. 

3)  Do most of the gui programmers in archland use a program to design their interface or do you prefer to do it manually.   

4)  Any book suggestions on QT.  I know there is a lot of stuff on-line, but its scattered and not very cohesive.  The ideal book would be both a  tutorial explaining the process as well as a reference book covering the most common class methods and events.

Thanks

Live Free or Die !

#2 2008-11-14 03:53:47

EnvoyRising

Re: C++ gui questions

Introduction to Design Patterns in Cpp With Qt 4 is an open source book also available in hardback

I myself liked The Book of Qt 4 - The Art of Building Qt Applications (link to amazon.com)

As for Qt Designer, you can, with the exception of custom ones, connect signals and slots visually.

Board footer