You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-14 15:35:19

Bear Chow

Arch without Internet

I am rehashing an interest in Linux,  I've been goofing off with it since 1991.  Including installing many distros Slackware 0.94 being my first ever distro off of 3.5 diskettes.  I have been working with Crux for the last two months, but I'm tired of watching my Thinkpad T30 compile and compile and compile.  So now I've become intrigued with Arch and their precompiled binaries.  This is merely an exercise and toy for me to enjoy and learn from.

Here's my problem, I don't have internet at home.  I have free use of it at work.  So I've been carring tarballs home to compile.  Then realizing I missed a dependency and having to bring them home the next day.  I can't continue doing this as the frustration is certainly going to kill my wife.

Finally here comes the question

Is there an Arch install disk with Xorg and a basic desktop so I can at least get that far?

Is there a repository I can burn to a CD with the most common apps and their dependents?

Is there any other way to install and maintain Arch without internet? (redundent I know)

Am I going to be forced to go to the library to access a network point just to get a base (not core) system up and running?  Things I want to install are Abiword, Xine, XMMS, burn some CD's, and maybe later play some small games.

Thanks

#2 2008-11-14 15:53:09

daf666
Website

Re: Arch without Internet

I have offered a solution that might work (unfortunatly the thread was closed before any1 could comment seriously on the matter):

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 70#p439670

#3 2008-11-14 16:01:43

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Bear Chow wrote:

I am rehashing an interest in Linux,  I've been goofing off with it since 1991.  Including installing many distros Slackware 0.94 being my first ever distro off of 3.5 diskettes.  I have been working with Crux for the last two months, but I'm tired of watching my Thinkpad T30 compile and compile and compile.  So now I've become intrigued with Arch and their precompiled binaries.  This is merely an exercise and toy for me to enjoy and learn from.

Here's my problem, I don't have internet at home.  I have free use of it at work.  So I've been carring tarballs home to compile.  Then realizing I missed a dependency and having to bring them home the next day.  I can't continue doing this as the frustration is certainly going to kill my wife.

Finally here comes the question

Is there an Arch install disk with Xorg and a basic desktop so I can at least get that far?

Is there a repository I can burn to a CD with the most common apps and their dependents?

Is there any other way to install and maintain Arch without internet? (redundent I know)

Am I going to be forced to go to the library to access a network point just to get a base (not core) system up and running?  Things I want to install are Abiword, Xine, XMMS, burn some CD's, and maybe later play some small games.

Thanks

You could eg install faunos to disc.

Edit: A better solution would probably be to make a mirror of the arch mirrors on a external hd, and sync that on work from time to time.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2008-11-14 16:03:40)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2008-11-14 16:12:55

Bear Chow

That what I was thinking.  Anyone one how big that mirror is?

#5 2008-11-14 16:23:05

tesjo

I check this a few months ago, iirc extra was 5-6 GB, core should be considerably smaller.

#6 2008-11-14 16:42:41

perbh

core: 161 MB
extra: 5454 MB

This is the way I do it ('cuz I've got a 300MB in 24hr limit on my satellite internet).
I do nightly mirroring at work - then use a usb-drive to carry it all home to update.
Works a treat!!

Last edited by perbh (2008-11-14 16:45:52)

#7 2008-11-14 17:36:33

Bear Chow

Thanks a lot.  How can I get a good mirror copy through Windows XP?  I know I can just copy and paste but can I check the integrity like an ISO with md5?

Nevermind on this one, I got it.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Bear Chow (2008-11-14 17:49:25)

Board footer