You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-15 19:54:49

JTD

getting urxvt transparency in wmii

Hi:

I'm new to wmii (all of 2 days) and am trying to figure out the following:  (I have searched the forums and googled).

1) I have feh doing my desktop background and that is ok.  However, when starting wmii it comes up and covers up the wallpaper with a 'nil' window.
When I hit Mod-enter, urxvt comes up ok but any configs I've tried just will not do transparency.
Do I set urxvt settings in .Xdefaults or from with wmiirc?  I have tried setting in .Xdefaults but only a small window shows up in the upper left hand corner.
Can some kind soul please show me how this is done.

2) Is it possible for wmii to save a default configuration?  For example, I would like to have 3 urxvt sessions on the first tag (workspace) in a certain size?

3) when I hit Mod-2 for example, a new workspace comes up but the wallpaper doesnot show.  Is this the normal mode of operation?

Sorry if this has been beaten to death but after spending the better part of a day I finally needed some help :-)

Thanks in advance.
JTD

#2 2008-11-15 21:46:40

elmer_42

Re: getting urxvt transparency in wmii

1) The "nil window" is the default background. Its color can be changed in wmiirc. I found that setting the feh background after wmii was launched allowed the wallpaper to be shown. You set urxvt settings in .Xdefaults; wmiirc is strictly for wmii. When I used wmii I had urxvt working fine with transparency. I had the following in my .Xdefaults:

URxvt.transparent: true
URxvt.tintColor: #000000
URxvt.shading: 50

2) I'm not sure about this one; I never had a need to do this.

3) I think that if you set the wallpaper after wmii loads this problem will be solved.

[ lamy + pilot ] [ arch64 | wmii ] [ ati + amd ]

#3 2008-11-15 23:07:05

JTD

Re: getting urxvt transparency in wmii

elmer_42 wrote:

1) The "nil window" is the default background. Its color can be changed in wmiirc. I found that setting the feh background after wmii was launched allowed the wallpaper to be shown. You set urxvt settings in .Xdefaults; wmiirc is strictly for wmii. When I used wmii I had urxvt working fine with transparency. I had the following in my .Xdefaults:

URxvt.transparent: true
URxvt.tintColor: #000000
URxvt.shading: 50

2) I'm not sure about this one; I never had a need to do this.

3) I think that if you set the wallpaper after wmii loads this problem will be solved.

Hey Elmer, thanks alot man.  That fixed it in 2 seconds!!
Classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

Would it be possible to get a peek at your wmiirc?  Need something to learn/reference from.

Thanks again.
JTD

Board footer