You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-16 11:56:55

my64

help: my keyboard layout has changed since last arch update !

Yesterday evening I did an update  of my system (yaourt -Su) and now when I am under X the keyboard is US and cant be changed back to fr
In a xterm   if I do

sudo loadkeys fr

there is no change and the keyboard is still US,
In pure console mode (no X)  there is no problem and the keyboard is well in french
Any idea ?

#2 2008-11-16 14:23:02

ChronoZ

Re: help: my keyboard layout has changed since last arch update !

It happened to me too after a recent upgrade.
I think 'loadkeys' only works for consoles. Try using

setxkbmap fr

instead.

#3 2008-11-16 15:48:08

my64

Thank you kronoz, you saved me, it solved my problem under fluxbox !

I also have another strange problem with KDE: since yesterday (since I updated), the down/up/right/left/inser/Suppr...keys do not work anymore.
Another idea ?

#4 2008-11-16 16:21:43

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

I think it's also because of the keymap change.  This issue has come up several times on the forums. It's because the new xorg server uses HAL autodetection, hal uses qwerty by default.  You can change your hal .fdi files (cool kids way)  or just disable autodetection altogether. (meh)

There's also an entry about this on the wiki.

Last edited by Dieter@be (2008-11-16 16:22:04)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#5 2008-11-16 21:57:45

Inkaine

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging

Actually I'm surprised this has come from last update. You are sure you don't have the testing repo enabled? If not simplest way is to uninstall xf86-input-evdev package. xorg-server will only pull that package as dependency from 1.5 which is not in extra yet (anyone correct me if wrong). The post-install message of the latest xserver package directs to the above mentioned website.

#6 2008-11-16 22:46:28

my64

Thank you.
Yes, I have testing repository enabled, so I removed it and reinstall xf86-input-evdev.
But still I have no keys up/down/left/right etc.... working. So  I'll am going to retrofit back all package to stable one and not testing.

#7 2008-11-16 22:57:20

my64

That was it.
I retrofit back all my packages to stable and not testing, restart kde, and then my keys are working fine again now.
Thank you all for your great help smile

#8 2008-11-16 22:59:21

fwojciec

A quick fix for this is to add something like this:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option      "AutoAddDevices"         "false"
EndSection

to xorg.conf.  This will make xorg work in the old way, by using the configs defined in xorg.conf.

A proper, long-term solution is to configure hal correctly (as was mentioned earlier, by editing hal's *.fdi files).

#9 2008-11-17 11:08:00

my64

Thanks for the hint.
I read the wiki, but still have some questions about how to migrate my Xorg.conf to the new hal's fdi file. Is there any tutorial or help for migrations on how to do this ?

#10 2008-12-04 19:04:56

my64

And again,
today I did an update of my OS with NO testing repository (this time) and got the problem again !
It looks that finally this "bad" Xorg version has left the testing and reached the common/extra of Arch.
Probably  everybody doing the update will get  hit by the problem.

I  don't understand how such a big change in the default  behavior of Xorg, can have been propagated by Arch.
Why don't the installation package of xorg automatically add these lines to the configuration file ?
It would avoid bad surprise  for a lot of people.

Olivier

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

#11 2008-12-04 19:28:47

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

my64 wrote:

I  don't understand how such a big change in the default  behavior of Xorg, can have been propagated by Arch.
Why don't the installation package of xorg automatically add these lines to the configuration file ?
It would avoid bad surprise  for a lot of people.

Suprises are fun, it's part of Arch. (And in fact it's not entirely a surprise, because this was announced and documented)
Arch should never automatically update configs.  That just one of the things about Arch you should know (again, the goals and visions of Arch are also documented)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#12 2008-12-04 20:22:15

my64

I do not agree.
Since I am using Arch, this is the first time I got such a bad surprise. When you are in a hurry and can't use you PC after an update for just a default not set, you get really nervous.
I am a  happy user of Arch, but I don't read news every day, and not each time there are updates.
I though that interactive config update was possible in some cases, or at least to put some warning to users.
I don't like system  behavior to change when I do not ask for it. This just make the system look unstable.

Board footer