You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-16 12:03:03

Rorschach

Why does kernel26.img don't belong to any package?

Hi,
I'm still trying my luck with installing a custom compiled kernel the Arch-Way.

But I'm pretty confused: why do those *.img files in /boot/ not belong to any packages? "pacman -Qo /boot/kernel26.img" says that and also "pacman -Ql KERNELPACKAGE" doesn't show any *.img files. Where do they come from and how to uninstall them?

Even if I remove all kernels with pacman -Rsn those files still exists?? Why?

#2 2008-11-16 12:08:31

Ramses de Norre

Re: Why does kernel26.img don't belong to any package?

Because they are generated by mkinitcpio in the install script. They can't possibly be integrated in the kernel package because the generating process depends on the local hardware and configuration file. You should generate the img for your own kernel in the install file for the same reason and pacman wont complain about overriding then.

#3 2008-11-16 12:09:20

tomk
Forum Fellow

Those are the initramfs images, and they are generated at install time, not at package creation time. pacman is therefore unaware of them. If you want to remove them, just delete them - just make sure you don't delete the files required by your installed kernel(s).

#4 2008-11-16 12:26:36

Rorschach

Thanks,
I realized now they are created by the kernel26.install script which is also the reason why my new kernels always override the older ones because the kernel26.install script doesn't care about kernel-versions and has a hardcoded kernel26.img name in it...

So am I correct that they are useless if the kernel-packages are deinstalled, aren't they? Is there any more garbage pacman leaves behind while deinstalling kernels next to those *.img- and System.map-files ?

Board footer