You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-16 15:15:26

gazj
Website

Too much sticks

I don't want to complain, but is it me or is there just too many sticky threads in some areas of the forums, this seems to make stickies seem less important and stand out less.

Just a point of view of mine, maybe we need a clean up, or maybe I am just a tidy freak smile

#2 2008-11-16 15:28:02

lucke

Re: Too much sticks

Do not fret, teh snail will save us!

stik.jpg

Last edited by lucke (2008-11-16 15:29:44)

#3 2008-11-16 22:12:56

gazj
Website

Just been thinking of a solution rather than just moaning

Could we have a new forum topic at the top of the main forum page titled "essential reads for newcomers" or something like that, and move the stickys to there, unless they are of course they are hughely relevent to the forum topic they are already in.

smile

#4 2008-11-17 01:30:07

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I just did some looking around. Most forums have 4 stickies of less..which is completely reasonable in my opinion..
I did say _most_. These are the exceptions.

6 Community Contributions
6 Announcements, Package and Security Advisories
8 Newbie Corner
9 Arch Discussion

It does seem a tad messy having more than 5 or 6 stickies in a forum. Stickies should only be topical _to that forum_, so having a single sticky forum is pointless (nobody would read/notice them). I think a better solution would be to consolidate stickies within a single forum whenever possible. Such as in a README sticky or something.

As the person asking for a resolution to 'excessive sticky posts', would you find such a solution reasonable?
(I ask because I won't waste my time doing any work on it if the result will have no net benefit)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2008-11-17 17:27:51

gazj
Website

Cactus thank you for your views.

4 sounds very reasonable to me, consolidating also seems like a very good idea, your views about a seperate topic seem understable and viable.  I obviously didn't think that one through thoroughly.

The only other real solution I can think of is moving the information to the wiki (surely this is the wiki's purpose), but are people really going to follow the links and read up, probably not, but it is a thought.  Obviously I would be happy to write the relevent wiki pages.

The main reason I bought it up, is that on lower resolutions you need to scroll a whole page before you reach the newest thread.

Please don't think I am having a moan, I just think condensing the clutter will make the forums a more pleasent expierience for all.

Cheers smile

Last edited by gazj (2008-11-17 17:29:44)

Board footer