You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-17 15:24:27

daedalusman

I need to know if my motherboard is causing hard drive failures?

The problem I'm having is that in less then a year and a half I have had at least two possibly three hard drives fail on me (the third drive is in what seems like the start of a failure based on how the other two went down). I have five hard drives total in my system and four of them I have never had trouble with. The drives that have failed have all been hooked up to the same port on the mainboard.

To me this now seems like a mainboard issue but I want to make sure. I haven't had any other issues with hardware besides these hard drive failures since I've gotten the mother board. If it is the motherboard, could I just not use this port and be fine or is this something that really needs to be replaced.

Thanks for any help.

#2 2008-11-18 10:12:23

ijanos

Re: I need to know if my motherboard is causing hard drive failures?

How exactly these drives failed? Have you checked their SMART data? (try hdsentinel from AUR)
I've had a wierd issue with my notebook drives, parking the head way too much and simply killing the mechanics in 2 weeks (thank god warranty covered failed drive mechanics), due to incorrect default settings of the drive.

Board footer