You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-17 20:38:10

devil_kc

[request]awesome 3- disk usage widget + mpd now playing widget

i'm asking a good soul to help me:) i'm kinnda stupid form programming. i'd like someone to help me with a rc.lua part that would make new status bar on the bottom of the screen and help me add disk usage and mpd now playing widget on that status bar.
i was reading awesome wiki and part about wicked(that i use) and it says(d-u widget)

fswidget = widget({
    type = 'textbox',
    name = 'fswidget'
})

wicked.register(fswidget, wicked.widgets.fs,
    ' <span color="white">FS:</span> ${/ used}/${/ size} (${/ usep} used)', 120)

and that code does not work, or maybe i am too stupid to figure this out:(
mpd widget also does not work.
please help this poor stupid soul to figure this out. i was trying for few hours but this damn headache is stronger then lua. someone even said that rc.lua causes brain cancer. could be.

sorry for my english, and thanx for even rading this (stupid?) request

#2 2008-11-18 04:56:07

kett

Re: [request]awesome 3- disk usage widget + mpd now playing widget

This should get you a bottom status bar.  You will need to define mpdwidget and fswidget.  (Only add the lines where bottomstatusbar is mentioned.)

mystatusbar = {}
bottomstatusbar = {}
for s = 1, screen.count() do
    mystatusbar[s] = statusbar({ position = "top", name = "mystatusbar" .. s,
                                   fg = beautiful.fg_normal, bg = beautiful.bg_normal })
    bottomstatusbar[s] = statusbar({ position = "bottom", name = "bottomstatusbar".. s, fg = beautiful.fg_normal, bg = beautiful.bg_normal })
    -- Add widgets to the statusbar - order matters
    mystatusbar[s]:widgets({
        mytaglist,
        mytasklist,
        mypromptbox,
        mytextbox,
        mylayoutbox[s],
        s == screen.count() and mysystray or nil
    })
    bottomstatusbar[s]:widgets({
        mpdwidget,
        fswidget,
        s == screen.count()
    })
    mystatusbar[s].screen = s
    bottomstatusbar[s].screen = s
end

As far as the widgets, what do you mean they don't work?  Here are some ideas to fix a variety of possible issues
  -You should have wicked-git installed.
  -You should have require("wicked") near the top of your rc.lua.
  -You need to make sure that your widgets are included in a status bar or else they won't show up.
   -And if Awesome is just reverting to default, it means there is an error in your config file.  You should try running Awesome from one of the virtual terminals and seeing what the error message says.

#3 2008-11-18 22:53:57

devil_kc

i tried that, tanx for trying. but id doesnot work. wicked and eminent are loading by default. if anyone has any idea... awesome just breaks and reverts to default. but i can not find errors:(

#4 2008-11-18 23:30:13

kett

Start up awesome. Open a terminal and run:

xinit -- :2 &> ~/awesome-output

Before you do that make sure your ~/.xinitrc only has the following line uncommented

exec awesome

When Awesome loads again, just hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill it.  You should return to your original Awesome.  Now any error messages can be found in ~/awesome-output

Last edited by kett (2008-11-18 23:30:41)

#5 2008-11-19 10:23:43

ST.x
Website

Another way is just start X with startx 2> ~/.awesome-output and then you can reload that file in your editor after you make changes to your config to see any messages.

Board footer