You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-18 01:33:31

Leigh

Music and portable Mp3 players.

Hi everybody. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice/suggestions...

I have a 250 gb hardrive dedicated to music, but I'm a huge music buff / guitar playing addict. My collection has grown to about 200 gb's. Mostly I use mpd or moc for playing music on the computer and that works out well for me. For taking my music with me, I'm totally behind the times. I still burn music cd's for a very old portable and bulky Magnovax cd player/walkman that my parents bought for me back in 1993. It's been dropped countless times, stepped on, rained on, and just taken more abuse than it deserves. Maraculously, it still works as well as when it was new, and lasts a long time on 4 AA batteries, but I often use a old jvc ac-dc adaptor thats even older than it is. I bet they don't make them like this anymore, but wish it could play mp3's. Anyway, I have totally outgrown this beasty dinasour and want something new. technology has really came a long way, and I'm a little overwhelmed at all the choices I see when searching the net for portable mp3/cd players. can anyone help me with some suggestions? I know I don't want an ipod. My friend has one and I would rather play old fashioned cd's on my dinasour than mess with one of those.  I seen a few things similar to a ipod that you can download mp3's too through a usb port with linux firmware/software on them. thier pretty pricy though. Does anyone use something similar? Perhaps with a ac adaptor port so I don't have to always rely on batteries?

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#2 2008-11-18 03:49:18

zeddD1abl0

Re: Music and portable Mp3 players.

Take a look at the Cowon gear (www.cowon.com). Specifically the Q5W. That should be just about what you want. They are really good quality, and work really well. The only issue is that the largest they get to is 80GB.

#3 2008-11-18 06:27:40

Leigh

Thanks!, I was reading info on the iAudio's, some good and some bad. The Cowons sound very interesting. I just might take a chance on one them. Thanks for the link! smile

I keep reading that sound quality is diminished on flash drive mp3 players, but I think maybe with a smallish headphone amp that could do wonders. I have a couple Cmoy tin (penguin) headphone amps I got off ebay. They make all the difference in the world with expensive headphones. Maybe cheap ones too, but all mine are expensive. I'm ashamed to say how much i have spent on headphones. I love them about as much as I do my guitars tongue

Last edited by Leigh (2008-11-18 06:28:12)

#4 2008-11-18 09:21:56

aantipop

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/compare/

im very happy with my sansa clip:

- after firmware updates it even plays flac and ogg
- its known for great audio quality (especially if you got good headphones)
- works without any problems in linux
- its small and the charged batterie last very long (about 15 hours the website says)
- its cheap
- limited to 4 gig and charges via usb

..perfect player for me, i dont want something with a big touch screen and internet and whatnot, which i would manage to break sooner or later if id carry it with me every day.. smile

rainbow networks - we bring colour to your gibs

#5 2008-11-18 14:54:30

thisperishedmin

I have a Meizu M5 SL that I was nothing but happy with.  I've actually got no use for it anymore though since getting an iPhone (I know, I know sad).  However, for an 8gb flash player I was in heaven...the skinability was fun, and sound quality was awesome.

anythingbutipod.com really is probably y our best 1 stop shop for mp3 player alternatives.  You'll want to look into "USB Mass Storage" class type devices if you plan to swap your music on from linux without needing some special windows based / mac based software (iTunes, Windows Media Player, some stupid custom app the company gives you on a cd, etc.)

keep us posted what you get!

#6 2008-11-19 02:46:50

Leigh

Thanks everybody.
I spent a lot of time on anythingbutipod.com. lots of good ipod alternatives. I really don't need to use it for anything but music. I decided to get a 4gb Sansa clip. Just ordered one this evening. (Thanks for the info aantipop!) It sounds perfect for me. I read many good reviews about them and I just found out that it will run/charge from a ac adaptor or car lighter outlet, without being connected to the computer. It's much cheaper than most and if I like it, I'll probably buy another so I can have one for work and one for jogging/workouts smile Only bad thing I learned about them is that the battery is not replaceable.  I wonder why they made them like that? It would be nice to have a spare battery already charged up and ready to go.

#7 2008-11-19 03:11:07

skottish
Forum Fellow

Leigh wrote:

Thanks everybody.
I spent a lot of time on anythingbutipod.com. lots of good ipod alternatives. I really don't need to use it for anything but music. I decided to get a 4gb Sansa clip. Just ordered one this evening. (Thanks for the info aantipop!) It sounds perfect for me. I read many good reviews about them and I just found out that it will run/charge from a ac adaptor or car lighter outlet, without being connected to the computer. It's much cheaper than most and if I like it, I'll probably buy another so I can have one for work and one for jogging/workouts smile Only bad thing I learned about them is that the battery is not replaceable.  I wonder why they made them like that? It would be nice to have a spare battery already charged up and ready to go.

I-Pod batteries are supposedly not replaceable either. People do it all the time. Maybe there's a solution for yours too?

#8 2008-11-19 06:24:42

Leigh

Yea I read alittle about replacing the batteries, but it would void the warrenty. It's good to know it's possible though.

I just discovered sandisk came out with a 8gb sansa clip, same size, for less than 100 dollars US. should be in stores this week or next.
http://www.slashgear.com/sandisk-sansa- … d-1122259/

#9 2008-11-19 15:48:34

Runiq

I'm still saving for a Trekstor Vibez, preferably 16 or 32 GB. Plays ogg and flac, Flash memory (which means you can pretty much drop it as much as you want), Support for folders, playlists on-the-fly, crossfade, gapless playback. Plus it has a long battery life, and you can change the batteries yourself. Oh yeah, and it's not that pricey, at least for the functionality it delivers.

Last edited by Runiq (2008-11-19 15:58:04)

#10 2008-11-20 03:01:53

Leigh

The Trekstor Vibez sounds really cool, but I read they have a problem with the navagation wheel being too sensitive. I got to play with a sansa clip at work and liked it so much I searched for deals on the 2gb ones. Found some for like 30 dollars and ordered three more all different colors. I thought I would dedicate classical on one, clasic rock on another, and new age stuff on another, etc. Also found out that they will support flac and other formats with a firmware upgrade. Now I'll have to live on peanut butter for a while, but I think it'll be worth it smile

Last edited by Leigh (2008-11-20 05:36:40)

Board footer