You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-18 14:05:48

adityam

Archlinux hanging on Thinkpad T60

Hi,

I recently installed archlinux on my thinkpad T60. It has hung twice during the last two days! The screen freezes, and the machine does not respond to any keys. My only option is to reboot.

I have been using linux on this laptop for almost a year (mainly Ubuntu), and it never crashed. This means that there is a misconfiguration with archlinux, but I do not know how to find that out. I looked through the output of dmesg (after a fresh boot) and the only error message there is

ACPI: Error installing bay notify handler

I do not think that this can cause my laptop to hang, so something else is the culprit. Both times when it hung, I had Gnome, Opera, evince, terminal (alpine + tex + vim in the terminal) running.

Any suggestions on how to debug this?

Thanks,
Aditya

#2 2008-11-21 05:05:16

adityam

Re: Archlinux hanging on Thinkpad T60

My laptop hanged again today :-( That is three times in four days. Any ideas on how to find what is going on.

Thanks,
Aditya

#3 2008-11-21 11:46:00

loserone

My X40 recently started hanging immediately after boot with a whole load of ACPI errors.  Seems adding !snd_pcsp to the MODULES line in rc.conf did the trick.

Not sure if it's related at all, but it might be worth looking at.

#4 2008-11-24 18:39:44

adityam

The laptop is still hanging once every two days roll

The ACPI error got away when I removed bay from the modules array in rc.conf. I have also noticed a pattern in the hanging. Usually, the laptop hangs within half an hour of waking up from suspend. I am using pm-suspend from pm-utils to suspend. Is there any way to find out what happened before a reboot? Or how should I go about trying to debug this?

Thanks,
Aditya

Board footer