You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-19 00:43:21

kaffetrakter

Firefox unresponsive/broken

Hiya,

A while ago my firefox started getting pretty slow, and after a while it was completely unusable. I then switched over to opera for a while, but now i realise that i really miss firefox and all the great extensions. But when trying to start firefox now it gives me an error saying "An error occured while loading or saving configuration information for firefox. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly" and it gives me two buttons, one saying OK, the other saying Details. I cant click either buttons, it seems like the errormessage is frozen, so i cant really get any details from there.

A few moments after the errormessage pops up, firefox starts, but its the same story here, cant click anything. Im not sure, but i think it might have something to do with dbus, because when running 'strace firefox' i get a lot of messages saying connection refused with most of the messages regarding dbus, but i really have no clue abot dbus, so its a wild guess tongue If you want the full output of 'strace firefox' just tell me smile

firefox package is 3.0.3-1, kernel is 2.6.27-ARCH, and my windowmanager is fluxbox. If you need any more information just ask smile

Heres what i have tried so far:
Reinstalling the package with pacman
Building a new package from abs
Killing X and removing .gconf* and .gnome* folders
Removing .mozilla/firefox and .mozilla/extensions
Starting firefox with 'firefox -safe-mode' and resetting all settings there. It wouldnt really work in safe-mode either, but the box asking if i wanted to reset all settings worked, or at least i could click the buttons there tongue

Anyone have any suggestions to what may be causing this?

thanks smile

#2 2008-11-19 01:55:09

Redroar

Re: Firefox unresponsive/broken

I have the same issue here. It starts and works fine when dbus-launch is running, but it starts up GVFS and gconf, which is hardly ideal on my DWM setup...I have those installed for brasero, so I won't remove them entirely, but I would also like to know if there's anyway to get firefox to stop using D-Bus, I can't imagine what it would need to use it for.

Stop looking at my signature. It betrays your nature.

#3 2008-11-19 02:03:11

Ranguvar

Re: Firefox unresponsive/broken

Huh! Odd. How about backing up .mozilla and then removing the original? If it works, slowly replace files/folders until you find the culprit, and go from there... kludgy, but I can't think of anything else.

Board footer