You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-19 23:16:59

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Pacpal: provides complementary functionality to pacman

Info page: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/info/pacpal

Feel free to make requests for functionality and I'll see what I can do, depending on time and ability.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2008-11-20 00:07:05

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

Re: Pacpal: provides complementary functionality to pacman

Yet another great work by Xyne, Inc!

#3 2008-11-20 00:48:12

Allan
Pacman
Website

Good stuff.  I was thinking of putting something like these in pacman-contrib (still could...).  Just one small comment:

link wrote:

--find-inc-pkgs, --find-incomplete-packages

This will print out a list of packages which have missing files in their file list. The output is categorized to show explicity installed packages and packages installed as dependencies to make it easier to re-install them while preserving their current install reason. Use the "-v" or "--verbose" option to display a list of the apparently missing files beneath each package.

You do know that doing "pacman -S <already installed package>" does not change the reason it was installed.  I.e. something installed as a dep, will stay installed as a dep.

#4 2008-11-20 01:03:39

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Thanks. smile

Allan wrote:

You do know that doing "pacman -S <already installed package>" does not change the reason it was installed.  I.e. something installed as a dep, will stay installed as a dep.

I once needed to uninstall gcc and reinstall it to mark it as explicit, but I never considered that it was "feature" nor did I give it any thought (there's another thread here in which I think Skottish mentions not being able to get "cups" off the orphaned dependencies list). I've just tested using "--asdeps" and "--asexplicit" to override that and it works (pacman still needs metapax's "--mark-as-explicit" etc options... and before you say "submit a patch", I still haven't learned C).

Anyway, I might remove the separation then so that the list can be piped without parsing. Thanks for pointing it out.

edit
I've changed it.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-11-20 01:18:30)

#5 2009-09-01 00:45:59

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

*dusts off thread*

I've added 2 more functions: "--list-degrouped-pkgs" and "--list-missing-group-pkgs"
The former will find packages listed as part of a group locally but not in the sync database (this was prompted by the removal of "libdownload" from the "base" group). The latter will display a list of packages that are part of the specified groups but not installed locally.

Board footer