You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-21 22:05:06

stevesutt89
Website

Turn of laptop keyboard (Toshiba)

The  oth er day i did one of the most terrioble things one could do to a laptop; i spilt  some water on it the  keyboard.  So i  let it dry out and turned it back on at first, my laptop was un usable, however now, about 36 hours later, the only thing that is wrong is the keyboard on my laptop keeps typing randomness into whatever i have open.     
So, i was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way of turning off the keyboard thats built into my laptop, but still  retaining the ability to  input from a ps/2 keyboard?

My Laptop is a toshiba tecra A2, which has the  Intel  855 GMA main  board.

#2 2008-11-21 23:10:36

elmer_42

Re: Turn of laptop keyboard (Toshiba)

It may void your warranty, but if you really had to you could disassemble the laptop and pull the keyboard out of it.

[ lamy + pilot ] [ arch64 | wmii ] [ ati + amd ]

#3 2008-11-22 02:21:14

stevesutt89
Website

hmmm, it may have to come to that becasue the laptop is working sweet except for the keyboard (which makes it nigh on impossible to use-you can't login, type much or view webpages (as the page will just scroll to the bottom))

as for the warranty, i'm in no concern of voiding that, firstly it ran out 3 years ago (4 year old laptop) and secondly I'm fairly sure i voided the warranty the second i poured water all over it.

So, no one knows of any kernel modules that are loaded specifically for laptop keyboards?

#4 2008-11-22 03:47:29

archlinuxsagi

my guess is your keyboard is short-circuited.

#5 2008-11-22 11:23:39

Inkaine

From my experience with disassembeling laptops, taking out the keyboard is the easiest part. It usually doesn't require a complete disassamble but you just have to insert a screwdriver into three notches on top of the keyboard, press slightly (best start in the middle) and that way get the keyboard out. It should be connected to the motherboard by a flat ribbon cable, usually freely accessible after moving the kb a bit to the top. Just disconnect it and use your external kb without any further interference.

Just found while googleing a bit: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2 … -keyboard/

And if you intend to replace the broken keyboard just google for "replacement keyboard laptop australia" or something like that and enjoy the thousands of stores selling them. big_smile Good luck.

Board footer