You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-22 07:29:40

Ferrenrock

What is the processor family for an Intel T2080?

Hi everyone, I'm compiling my own kernel and I'm stuck on the part regarding processor family. I got a weird sort of CPU. It's an intel pentium dual core T2080. It's not a Core 2 Duo or any of that. According to wikipedia, the model name is 'Yonah' and it is based off of Pentium M. However, the CFlag article on the wiki recommended the Pentium 4 option for all Pentium Dual-Cores. I also got some other varying responses on IRC, including Pentium MMX and Xeon Duo Core. Anyone have any idea what processor family I should be using here? This is my /proc/cpuinfo output:

processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 14
model name    : Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2080  @ 1.73GHz
stepping    : 12
cpu MHz        : 1728.974
cache size    : 1024 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
core id        : 0
cpu cores    : 2
apicid        : 0
initial apicid    : 0
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 10
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
bogomips    : 3459.02
clflush size    : 64
power management:

processor    : 1
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 14
model name    : Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2080  @ 1.73GHz
stepping    : 12
cpu MHz        : 1728.974
cache size    : 1024 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
core id        : 1
cpu cores    : 2
apicid        : 1
initial apicid    : 1
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 10
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
bogomips    : 3459.12
clflush size    : 64
power management:

#2 2008-11-22 10:05:47

cerbie

Re: What is the processor family for an Intel T2080?

T2080 is a Core Duo (Yonah), for practical purposes. My Google-fu revealed this:
http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=29740

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

#3 2008-11-22 13:41:01

moljac024

Hey, I have the same processor in my laptop!

Anyway: http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=t2080

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2008-11-22 15:26:59

ejmarkow
Website

cerbie wrote:

T2080 is a Core Duo (Yonah), for practical purposes. My Google-fu revealed this:

So, Ferrenrock should choose the kernel option "Core 2/newer Xeon" as the processor family in 'menuconfig' ?

The 'help' screen for that processor family reads:

"CONFIG_MCORE2:

Select this for Intel Core 2 and newer Core 2 Xeons (Xeon 51xx and 53xx) CPUs. You can distinguish newer from older Xeons by the CPU family in /proc/cpuinfo. Newer ones have 6 and older ones 15 (not a typo)"

#5 2008-11-22 15:54:11

Ferrenrock

cerbie wrote:

I know, but what does Yonah go under? There is no 'yonah' option, moreover, it isn't listed under 'help' in any of the processor families. These are my options:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mak … 2AIntel.2A

#6 2008-11-22 16:33:07

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Pentium 4/Prescott/Celeron 'D'/Pentium 'D'/Core Solo/Core Duo

* i686

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

That is the one you should choose, as it is a Core Duo after all

ejmarkow wrote:

So, Ferrenrock should choose the kernel option "Core 2/newer Xeon" as the processor family in 'menuconfig' ?

Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo

Last edited by Zeist (2008-11-22 16:35:48)

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#7 2008-11-23 03:07:48

cerbie

Ferrenrock wrote:
cerbie wrote:

I know, but what does Yonah go under? There is no 'yonah' option, moreover, it isn't listed under 'help' in any of the processor families. These are my options:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mak … 2AIntel.2A

Yonah is the code name for that specific core. Core Duo and Intel Dual-Core are brand names to sell the processors under.

A Pentium Dual-Core may be a Yonah (Core family), Merom (basically Conroe, Core 2), or Allendale (Core 2).
A Core Solo or Core Duo will only be Yonah. The Pentium Dual-Core variant just has half the L2 cache.
A Pentium 4 could be a Willamette, Northwood (A,B,C), or Prescott (D,E). The Prescott has had many revisions of other code names, and was a significantly chip from the previous Pentium 4 CPUs (initially, it was crap; but, after a few revisions, and compilers targeting it, it was OK). I forget where Cedar Mill fits in there, if at all, to consumer chips (it's basically, "we can fit more stuff on the Prescott die--cheap! Let's do it!").
A modern Celeron could be a Willamette, Northwood (as crappy as Deschutes, FYI), Prescott (D), Cedar Mill (D), or Allendale (Dual-Core).

There's no reason to give a single CPU its own tuning or architecture feature set, unless it really needs it. The Pentium-M sucked in many ways, so it needed it (they're not bad chips or anything, but were rushed out, due to AMD gaining ground in Notebooks). All of their chips since were designed to take the same kind of code as the Prescott, including the Atom, which is about as far away from the Prescott as you can get.

Last edited by cerbie (2008-11-23 03:09:23)

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

#8 2008-11-23 19:02:13

Ferrenrock

cerbie wrote:

A Pentium Dual-Core may be a Yonah (Core family), Merom (basically Conroe, Core 2), or Allendale (Core 2).
A Core Solo or Core Duo will only be Yonah. The Pentium Dual-Core variant just has half the L2 cache.
A Pentium 4 could be a Willamette, Northwood (A,B,C), or Prescott (D,E). The Prescott has had many revisions of other code names, and was a significantly chip from the previous Pentium 4 CPUs (initially, it was crap; but, after a few revisions, and compilers targeting it, it was OK). I forget where Cedar Mill fits in there, if at all, to consumer chips (it's basically, "we can fit more stuff on the Prescott die--cheap! Let's do it!").
A modern Celeron could be a Willamette, Northwood (as crappy as Deschutes, FYI), Prescott (D), Cedar Mill (D), or Allendale (Dual-Core).

There's no reason to give a single CPU its own tuning or architecture feature set, unless it really needs it. The Pentium-M sucked in many ways, so it needed it (they're not bad chips or anything, but were rushed out, due to AMD gaining ground in Notebooks). All of their chips since were designed to take the same kind of code as the Prescott, including the Atom, which is about as far away from the Prescott as you can get.

OK, I'm doing the Pentium 4/Dual-Core option. If it all mimics prescott, and the help file on "Pentium 4" in menuconfig includes prescott, I guess that's the one to go with

Board footer