You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-22 23:00:23

moljac024
Member
From: Serbia
Registered: 2008-01-29
Posts: 2,676

Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

Since there is a thread about Openbox screenshots and configurations, why not make one about FVWM too ?
After all, FVWM is a tad more customizable than Openbox, and you can truly create a unique and interesting desktop!

What you should post:

Screenshot (obviously)

All your fvwm configuration files (including images and other content)
This would best be tarred up and hosted on a file sharing service. For example, http://filefactory.com/ or http://fileden.com/

Any other relevant configurations that are unique to your desktop (conky,pagers, panels etc.)

Cheers! wink

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-11-22 23:01:09)


The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Offline

#2 2008-11-23 17:13:52

anrxc
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2008-03-22
Posts: 834
Website

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

I had the same config for many years. It was a modification of very well known Taviso' config inspired by QNX Photon. It was the most functional desktop I ever saw, those panels were fantastic.

Last one I used
fvwm2thumbqs6.png

...slight modification on my VDR box
vdrboxdesktopthumbia4.png

Config with detailed information is here. Original config from Taviso is still available here (you got to love those qnx icons).

The FVWM forums are a great place for inspiration and have the most extensive collection of fvwm configs http://fvwm.lair.be/viewforum.php?f=39


You need to install an RTFM interface.

Offline

#3 2008-11-23 19:42:30

string
Member
Registered: 2008-11-03
Posts: 286

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

For some reason I just though I'd mention Donald Knuth's hella cool FVWM setup, check out: http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/programs.html (near the end of the page). I guess he uses Emacs (and Ubuntu IIRC) but you know what they say: nobody's perfect.

[Note: For the `humour challenged` amongst the readers, the above is supposed to be taken as a joke.]

The last time I used FVWM it was because I had found a FVWM theme which looked like/emulated CDE (which rocks, mind you) [perhaps it was this one: http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvanr/fvwm.html , though I'm not sure]. This thread made me consider switching back to FVWM (currently: XMONAD), I shiver when I think about configuring the thing.

Offline

#4 2008-11-23 21:17:02

heleos
Member
From: Maine, USA
Registered: 2007-04-24
Posts: 678

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

I'm in the process of configuring FVWM right now.... and it's pretty painful. I can't seem to get fvwmiconman to swallow my conky >_>

edit: HERE IT IS! http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs233&d=08470&f=2 … rot465.png

stalonetray isn't swallowed correctly... its just kind of laying on top of the bar. Also I can't get my icons to minimize correctly. But other than that I'm pretty happy

Last edited by heleos (2008-11-24 00:47:22)

Offline

#5 2008-11-29 23:48:21

Shaika-Dzari
Member
From: Québec, Canada
Registered: 2006-04-14
Posts: 436
Website

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

Offline

#6 2009-01-11 19:58:57

ThomasAdam
Member
From: Southampton, England
Registered: 2005-10-26
Posts: 147

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

string wrote:

The last time I used FVWM it was because I had found a FVWM theme which looked like/emulated CDE (which rocks, mind you) [perhaps it was this one: http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvanr/fvwm.html , though I'm not sure]. This thread made me consider switching back to FVWM (currently: XMONAD), I shiver when I think about configuring the thing.

You should use the CDE theme in fvwm-themes [1] as I have made a number of improvements to it there since its inclusion.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] http://fvwm-themes.sf.net

Offline

#7 2009-01-12 23:01:37

droog
Member
Registered: 2004-11-18
Posts: 877

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

ThomasAdam wrote:

You should use the CDE theme in fvwm-themes [1] as I have made a number of improvements to it there since its inclusion.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] http://fvwm-themes.sf.net

Thanks for the link thomas.
After seeing you around for many years i don't think i've ever seen your config, any chance of a screenshot and config of what a master of fvwm uses?  smile
you're on 2.4 still or earlier?

Offline

#8 2009-01-12 23:24:29

droog
Member
Registered: 2004-11-18
Posts: 877

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

still using this basic setup without the menu pixmaps
http://two.xthost.info/navi/screens/200 … _scrot.png

Last edited by droog (2009-01-12 23:35:23)

Offline

#9 2009-01-12 23:27:45

ThomasAdam
Member
From: Southampton, England
Registered: 2005-10-26
Posts: 147

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

droog wrote:

Thanks for the link thomas.
After seeing you around for many years i don't think i've ever seen your config, any chance of a screenshot and config of what a master of fvwm uses?  smile
you're on 2.4 still or earlier?

No, on 2,5.X -- but one of the few people who flit between the two.  A master of FVWM?  You flatter me somewhat... I am just a humble user.

My current screenshot as of 20090112 looks like this:

http://edulinux.homeunix.org/~n6tadam/f … 090112.png

The different colours for the borders are seen here:

http://fvwm.lair.be/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2149&p=12069

The config is on the forums somewhere -- it's pretty boring, I do everything either within screen or via the keyboard.

-- Thomas Adam

Offline

#10 2009-01-12 23:37:08

moljac024
Member
From: Serbia
Registered: 2008-01-29
Posts: 2,676

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

ThomasAdam wrote:
droog wrote:

Thanks for the link thomas.
After seeing you around for many years i don't think i've ever seen your config, any chance of a screenshot and config of what a master of fvwm uses?  smile
you're on 2.4 still or earlier?

No, on 2,5.X -- but one of the few people who flit between the two.  A master of FVWM?  You flatter me somewhat... I am just a humble user.

My current screenshot as of 20090112 looks like this:

http://edulinux.homeunix.org/~n6tadam/f … 090112.png

The different colours for the borders are seen here:

http://fvwm.lair.be/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2149&p=12069

The config is on the forums somewhere -- it's pretty boring, I do everything either within screen or via the keyboard.

-- Thomas Adam

You might want to apply some blur to that pidgin window smile


The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Offline

#11 2009-01-13 00:05:53

sand_man
Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2008-06-10
Posts: 2,164

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

droog wrote:

still using this basic setup without the menu pixmaps
http://two.xthost.info/navi/screens/200 … _scrot.png

That looks damn sexy big_smile


neutral

Offline

#12 2009-01-13 02:11:58

droog
Member
Registered: 2004-11-18
Posts: 877

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

ThomasAdam wrote:
droog wrote:

Thanks for the link thomas.
After seeing you around for many years i don't think i've ever seen your config, any chance of a screenshot and config of what a master of fvwm uses?  smile
you're on 2.4 still or earlier?

No, on 2,5.X -- but one of the few people who flit between the two.  A master of FVWM?  You flatter me somewhat... I am just a humble user.

My current screenshot as of 20090112 looks like this:

http://edulinux.homeunix.org/~n6tadam/f … 090112.png

The different colours for the borders are seen here:

http://fvwm.lair.be/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2149&p=12069

The config is on the forums somewhere -- it's pretty boring, I do everything either within screen or via the keyboard.

-- Thomas Adam

moljac024 wrote:

You might want to apply some blur to that pidgin window smile

Nah, its just proof all the girls love us fvwm hackers tongue


I knew it would be simple, useful and close to perfect. I'll look for it on the forums there, thanks.

Last edited by droog (2009-01-13 02:19:48)

Offline

#13 2009-01-13 10:10:35

ThomasAdam
Member
From: Southampton, England
Registered: 2005-10-26
Posts: 147

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

droog wrote:
moljac024 wrote:

You might want to apply some blur to that pidgin window smile

Nah, its just proof all the girls love us fvwm hackers tongue

Oh, I don't bother to censor much -- besides, there's nothing wrong with cuddles.

droog wrote:

I knew it would be simple, useful and close to perfect. I'll look for it on the forums there, thanks.

Well, it's a mess, but coupled with the link to the colormodule.pm stuff from an earlier post, see my config here:

http://edulinux.homeunix.org/~n6tadam/f … c-20090113

-- Thomas Adam

Offline

#14 2009-01-15 23:10:59

heleos
Member
From: Maine, USA
Registered: 2007-04-24
Posts: 678

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

droog wrote:

still using this basic setup without the menu pixmaps
http://two.xthost.info/navi/screens/200 … _scrot.png

Could you give me the code for your thumbnails? Mine are pretty messed up sad

Offline

#15 2009-01-16 02:10:07

Shaika-Dzari
Member
From: Québec, Canada
Registered: 2006-04-14
Posts: 436
Website

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

Hop! new version...
tMTR2NA

Like I said, work in progress...

Offline

#16 2009-01-19 18:15:34

joqueza
Member
Registered: 2008-08-16
Posts: 58

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

Shaika-Dzari wrote:

Hop! new version...
http://omploader.org/tMTR2NA

Like I said, work in progress...

did you have to use the roundedcorners patch to get this effect on the fvwmbuttons?

btw, im having a hard time dealing with the position of newly created windows. Do they open at random or Am I missing something? Each time I open a new window in Firefox or a new chat message in Pidgin, the window open between pages, or in the bottom of the screen, etc...

Offline

#17 2009-01-19 19:44:36

ThomasAdam
Member
From: Southampton, England
Registered: 2005-10-26
Posts: 147

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

joqueza wrote:

btw, im having a hard time dealing with the position of newly created windows. Do they open at random or Am I missing something? Each time I open a new window in Firefox or a new chat message in Pidgin, the window open between pages, or in the bottom of the screen, etc...

There's many different placement algorithms.  Can you be more specific as to what you want?

-- Thomas Adam

Offline

#18 2009-01-19 19:56:12

joqueza
Member
Registered: 2008-08-16
Posts: 58

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

ThomasAdam wrote:
joqueza wrote:

btw, im having a hard time dealing with the position of newly created windows. Do they open at random or Am I missing something? Each time I open a new window in Firefox or a new chat message in Pidgin, the window open between pages, or in the bottom of the screen, etc...

There's many different placement algorithms.  Can you be more specific as to what you want?

-- Thomas Adam

I thought about two options:

* All newly created windows open in the middle of the screen
* last place the window was before closing

I just don't get why the windows open between the virtual desktops... for example a chat window opening between pager 0,0 and pager 0,1


Any help appreciated.

Last edited by joqueza (2009-01-19 20:04:43)

Offline

#19 2009-01-19 20:58:53

ThomasAdam
Member
From: Southampton, England
Registered: 2005-10-26
Posts: 147

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

joqueza wrote:

* All newly created windows open in the middle of the screen

With FVWM 2.5.26 or above:

Style * PositionPlacement Center
joqueza wrote:

* last place the window was before closing

Tricky to do, since most applications don't set PPosition, however something like the following ought to work -- it was adapted from here:

http://fvwm.lair.be/viewtopic.php?p=5504#p5504

(Which is nice, since I've already written the thing.  tongue)

DestroyModuleConfig event: *
*event: Cmd Function
*event: add_window FuncAW
*event: destroy_window FuncDW

Module FvwmEvent event

This sets up FvwmEvent and runs it using the alias "event".  It's told to listen on add and destroy window events and run the named functions when those are triggered.

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmAW
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmAW
+ I ThisWindow PipeRead `\
IFS="|"; while read name x y; do \
[[ "$name" == "$[w.name]" ]] && \
echo 'AnimatedMove $[x]p $[y]p' || \
echo Nop; done < $[FVWM_USERDIR]/windowlist`

This reads in from the file the class, x and y position and then runs the AnimatedMove command on the window if it matches the window name.  It should be the window name to allow for fairly unique entries -- so this relies on your windows having unique names [1].

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmDW
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmDW
+ I ThisWindow (!Transient) Exec /bin/sh -c 'if ! grep -q $[w.class] $[FVWM_USERDIR]/windowlist; then echo $[w.name]|$[w.x]|$[w.y] >> $[FVWM_USERDIR]/windowlist; elsif grep -q $[w.name] $[FVWM_USERDIR]/windowlist; then sed -ie "/$[w.name]/d;" $[FVWM_USERDIR]/windowlist; fi'

This will then add/remove entries as needed.

Not tested this -- I am just basing it on my original post.   Feel free to tweak it.

joqueza wrote:

I just don't get why the windows open between the virtual desktops... for example a chat window opening between pager 0,0 and pager 0,1

Pastebin your config.

-- Thomas Adam

[1]  If you use the CVS version of FVWM, I added "$[w.visiblename]" which would be useful here with IndexedName for instances -- then things would be unique -- the only problem is, it won't match correct windows.  smile  So this method is far from fool-hardy.

Offline

#20 2009-01-20 00:11:23

joqueza
Member
Registered: 2008-08-16
Posts: 58

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

Thanks for your input Thomas. I'll check these solutions out.

Is the unofficial fvwm locked? I registered over there to ask these questions but I can only register and I haven't access to the forum once I log in.

Offline

#21 2009-01-20 00:15:59

ThomasAdam
Member
From: Southampton, England
Registered: 2005-10-26
Posts: 147

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

joqueza wrote:

Thanks for your input Thomas. I'll check these solutions out.

Is the unofficial fvwm locked? I registered over there to ask these questions but I can only register and I haven't access to the forum once I log in.

I might have removed you from it for being idle or for appearing to be a spammer.  Reregister the same nick and I will take a look.

-- Thomas Adam

Offline

#22 2009-01-20 02:04:05

Shaika-Dzari
Member
From: Québec, Canada
Registered: 2006-04-14
Posts: 436
Website

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

joqueza wrote:

did you have to use the roundedcorners patch to get this effect on the fvwmbuttons?

No,

I'm just using Shape with my colorset.
Something like:

Colorset 5 RootTransparent, fg rgb:00/00/00, bg average, \
       Tint white 100, bgTint white 100, RootTransparent, \
       Shape theme/back.xpm

Shape must be a .xpm. More info: http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/adva … ttons.html

@Thomas: I can't see any sub forum from fvwm.lair.be. I can login with my username but all categories (decoration, function, new, etc.) seem to be evaporate sad

@+

Offline

#23 2009-01-20 13:06:56

ThomasAdam
Member
From: Southampton, England
Registered: 2005-10-26
Posts: 147

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

Shaika-Dzari wrote:

@Thomas: I can't see any sub forum from fvwm.lair.be. I can login with my username but all categories (decoration, function, new, etc.) seem to be evaporate sad

Yes, I've gone and buggered up the permissions when trying to fix the case for our registered friend.

I'm trying to fix it.

-- Thomas Adam

Offline

#24 2009-01-20 17:34:12

Shaika-Dzari
Member
From: Québec, Canada
Registered: 2006-04-14
Posts: 436
Website

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

ThomasAdam wrote:
Shaika-Dzari wrote:

@Thomas: I can't see any sub forum from fvwm.lair.be. I can login with my username but all categories (decoration, function, new, etc.) seem to be evaporate sad

Yes, I've gone and buggered up the permissions when trying to fix the case for our registered friend.

I'm trying to fix it.

-- Thomas Adam

No problem. smile

Offline

#25 2009-01-20 17:56:27

joqueza
Member
Registered: 2008-08-16
Posts: 58

Re: Share your FVWM desktop ! :)

ThomasAdam wrote:
joqueza wrote:

Thanks for your input Thomas. I'll check these solutions out.

Is the unofficial fvwm locked? I registered over there to ask these questions but I can only register and I haven't access to the forum once I log in.

I might have removed you from it for being idle or for appearing to be a spammer.  Reregister the same nick and I will take a look.

-- Thomas Adam

I can't re-register because the account is still available.

Your account has already been activated.

and then once I log in:

This board has no forums.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB