You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-24 23:31:14

ElkMonster

Flash causes very high CPU load (including high Xorg load)

Hello everybody,

this is my first message. smile I'm an Arch user since a few months, and I'm pretty sure this is the distribution I'll stick to - I pratically love everything about it, especially its simpleness. It's the first Linux that doesn't scare me away with tons of configuration files scattered around dozens of different locations. I've already gotten quite a number of things fixed by myself without even looking at the forum or wiki.
Well, it seems most of these statements can be found in most first forum posts, so I'll stop to bore you... wink

The problem: Playing flash videos or animations causes incredible processor load: Even youtube takes a whole CPU core (or even a little more), top shows around 80% for Xorg and around 20-30% for Firefox (a little less with Opera). I'm on Arch64 with XFCE, Athlon X2 4600+, NVidia 8200 chipset (which has severe driver problems anyway; I'm using the latest NVidia beta driver). I'd try the open source nvidia driver, but (it seems that) there's no support for my chipset yet.
Currently I'm using Adobe's Flash64 alpha, before that I used various versions fo the nspluginwrapper. 32-bit Flash also caused high CPU load, but it wasn't that much and it may have been related to nspluginwrapper rather than anything else; however I have got the impression that things became even worse with the switch to the x64 alpha (performance-wise; on the other hand, it at least loads faster and doesn't crash anymore). Like said before, youtube takes one core, but it mostly works ok then, but videos with higher resolutions that youtube's are practically impossible to watch (except when there is very little movement in the film). Neither Flash hardware acceleration on nor off makes any difference.

I've already read half of the web, searched in forums, wikis, etc., but didn't find anybody with the same problem. When Flash64 was released and people were reporting good improvements, I was hoping it would be the same for me... sad

What I'm looking for is suggestions of things to try... I'm out of ideas what to try and where to look. It just seems strange that I seem to have problems that others don't...

Thanks for reading and for any comments. smile

#2 2008-11-25 06:04:55

Zibi1981

Re: Flash causes very high CPU load (including high Xorg load)

ElkMonster wrote:

It just seems strange that I seem to have problems that others don't...

These issues aren't unique for your PC wink Take a look at this bug list i.e. 64-bit flashplayer is still being intensively developed, and because it's closed source, we cannot do much about it.

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#3 2008-11-25 16:57:52

cerbie

I don't know how well it works as 64-bit, ATM, but...have you tried gnash? It may help, as a bridge, until it either works better, or Adobe's works better. It's not exactly polished, either, though.

And, do I know you from somewhere--a little more Windows-centric--or are there many ElkMonsters, out here?

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

#4 2008-11-25 17:20:12

ElkMonster

cerbie wrote:

And, do I know you from somewhere--a little more Windows-centric--or are there many ElkMonsters, out here?

Hehe, I'm also wondering how many Cerbies are out there... wink
Really funny. The internet is a small place, obviously. Us meeting in a Linux forum also explains why nobody writes to the LSML anymore. big_smile

#5 2008-11-25 18:26:55

cerbie

It's hard to stay motivated, once the platform is a dead end.

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

Board footer