You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-25 02:42:30

Gullible Jones

WMII bar lookalike?

I like WMII, but unfortunately I'm finding tiling window manager (or at least WMII's style of tiling) inconvenient. However, I've also discovered that I really like WMII's bar and its ability to pipe text from CLI programs like acpi. Is there any standalone alone program like it?

- Dzen2 looks useful, but getting it to display stuff seems a bit difficult. And it can't set up a partial strut.
- Conky is very versatile, but it also can't act like a dock.
- Xmobar requires Haskell, which is huge.

Is it possible to pipe stuff into e.g. pypanel to be displayed? What other bars are there out there?

#2 2008-11-25 10:19:51

ArchGh0ul

Re: WMII bar lookalike?

Gullible Jones wrote:

I like WMII, but unfortunately I'm finding tiling window manager (or at least WMII's style of tiling) inconvenient. However, I've also discovered that I really like WMII's bar and its ability to pipe text from CLI programs like acpi. Is there any standalone alone program like it?

- Dzen2 looks useful, but getting it to display stuff seems a bit difficult. And it can't set up a partial strut.
- Conky is very versatile, but it also can't act like a dock.
- Xmobar requires Haskell, which is huge.

Is it possible to pipe stuff into e.g. pypanel to be displayed? What other bars are there out there?

Dzen2 is definetly your best choice. you can write bash scripts to make your life a bit easier
[edit] You could actually try a combination of dzen2 and conky. There's a CLI conky that can pipe text into dzen so you can use conky's widgets to get text and display it with dzen

Last edited by ArchGh0ul (2008-11-25 10:23:48)

#3 2008-11-25 10:32:52

gotmor
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

The SVN version (svn checkout http://dzen.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ dzen) does set partial struts.
It also has a "-dock" option, maybe that's what you need.

[EDIT]

Note that partial struts will only be set if the title window touches either the upper or lower border of your screen.

[/EDIT]

Last edited by gotmor (2008-11-25 10:48:22)

#4 2008-12-29 16:01:43

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

I like WMII, but unfortunately I'm finding tiling window manager (or at least WMII's style of tiling) inconvenient.

OT: may I ask why?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer