You are not logged in.

#1 2003-05-07 12:42:04

Bobonov

Suggestion for the setup in 0.5

At first I want to say what I think of this distribution.
I found it very good, easy and fast to install (in my opinion much more easy than big distribution), it has almost all I need from my system.
Here we follow with some short sugestion for the next release setup program.
1) the possibility to save on a floppy ( and consequently to load from) the package list selection.
This is going to speed up the installation of multiple workstations.
It wold be nice also for future release to import saved package list of previous release. In this case I think is necessary to evidence in some way package that are not maintened anymore and new package not present in the previous release.
2) Have the short description of the package during the setup. I have experience with Linux but I do not remeber all the package purpoise.
3) Actually the setup say that everithing is ok even when the operation generate an error.

#2 2003-05-08 03:33:24

hApy
Website

Re: Suggestion for the setup in 0.5

I think that while it would be alright to add more information about the package in the install, I don't think it need be a priority given how easy it is to just install the base packages and use pacman -Ss <searchstring> to find any particular packages for a certain application, or to find out what a package does.

Hapy.

#3 2003-05-08 09:48:30

Bobonov

Yes for sure it is not a priority but I think the implementation of package description during the setup is easy and quick. Al the pakage description is already in the package itself.
So it is enought that when the setup make the packagelist it show the description in the package.
Another addiction to the install program could be the use of PgUp and PgDw to move quickly in the list.

#4 2003-05-11 12:48:31

miki

It would be nice also if the setup could be translated in an easy way.

#5 2003-06-07 09:29:04

miki

I would like if cpqarray and cciss block drivers can be enabled in setup boot kernel, built into the kernel. Im installing a lot of Copmaq server and it would be nice to have support for them in default setup.
Running setup with floppy discs is really slow (I made my own boot images).

Board footer