You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-28 03:10:34

mr_chapendi

Pulseaudio - Awkward Startup and Sound Delays (Among other things.)

I've recently become a Pulseaudio convert - streaming music to another computer in my room to play music to is really nice.  Unfortunately, Pulse is not without its issues.
For one, Pulseaudio does not start correctly as a daemon on my main laptop.  Instead, I have a script that GNOME calls that boots Pulseaudio.  This really isn't that inconvenient, but it feels kludgy.  I'm sure there's a way to get it to work correctly (and then theoretically have sound if I decide I don't want to use a GUI.) 
A further issue with the startup is that I absolutely must choose ALSA PCM as my default sink, and then switch to RTP afterwards.  If I do not do this and set RTP as my default sink, I get horrific sound echoing and distortions that survive multiple Pulse restarts and are ultimately only cured by a full reboot.  This is extremely annoying - I shouldn't have to perform such a simple task as switching from ALSA to RTP by hand on every boot.
My last and perhaps most distressing issue concerns the 'loop' option on RTP sinks.  For about half and hour or so, both my main computer and my 'speaker' computer seem to be in sink.  Afterwards, it becomes noticeable that my main computer is lagging behind - after about 45 minutes, I have to restart Pulse and any audio related programs in order for the difference to be unnoticeable again.  Further, if I pause for almost any amount of time, the rate at which the two diverge seems to accelerate.  I'm not sure what to do about this, I've read that I may need to downsample the stream to get them to sync.  This solution seems unsatisfactory at best, and I'm not sure why I'd need to do this when the computers are connected to each other through a router via ethernet with an extremely robust connection.

Thanks for reading.  I appreciate any adivce and/or pointers.  (Although I suspect the last problem I may not be able to solve easily.)

(If my formatting is a bit off, I apologize.  I'm writing this post through lynx while my main computer is going through some GParted fun.)

#2 2008-11-28 11:33:56

Nezmer
Website

Re: Pulseaudio - Awkward Startup and Sound Delays (Among other things.)

mr_chapendi wrote:

For one, Pulseaudio does not start correctly as a daemon on my main laptop.  Instead, I have a script that GNOME calls that boots Pulseaudio.  This really isn't that inconvenient, but it feels kludgy.  I'm sure there's a way to get it to work correctly (and then theoretically have sound if I decide I don't want to use a GUI.)

Disable anything X related in '/etc/pulse/default.pa' .
You might find solutions to the other problems If you play with other settings in the same file .

English is not my native language .

Board footer