You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-28 22:58:39

sewerraccoon

X trying to load Nvidia kernel module from wrond directory

My first time installing Arch. Learning new things very quickly, thanks to the excellent wiki smile.

But here is my problem. I first installed Xorg, and then Installed the Nvidia package via Pacman. I used the Nvidia-xconfig utility to create a new xorg.conf, and I checked it to make sure everything was proper (It was). I then proceded to run startx (mind you this is all as root, haven't made any user accounts yet). The screen went black for a brief moment, and then returned me to bash, giving a long read out of what Xorg was doing in the background, ending with an error, that read "Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.25-ARCH/modules.dep". I did a quick check of the Arch repo to make sure that the KM was not located in another package (it wasn't). After that I took a quick look at /lib/modules/. There was no /2.6.25-ARCH/ directory, but a /2.6.27-ARCH/. I'm guessing 2.6.27 is the kernel I'm using (I'm using the most recent (as of 11/28/08) stock kernel). I did find modules.dep inside of the /2.6.27-ARCH/ directory. I was doubtful that my next idea would be a good long term solution but just to try it, I made actually mad a /2.6.25-ARCH/ directory in the /lib/modules/ directory and copied the modules.dep file from the 2.6.27 folder into it. I ran startx again and after another screen flicker, it returned with more output ending this time in "Invalid LKM Format.ko". From what I've seen across multiple distros is that .ko is the correct extension, and thus format for kernel modules. So now i'm looking for a solution. I looked for away to change the directory that xorg was looking for KM's in but was unable to find anything in xorg.conf. I'm experiencing this problem on a Lenovo ThinkPad T61, and the Nvidia card is off the top of my head a Quadro NVS 140M. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated smile.

#2 2008-11-28 23:54:29

u_no_hu

Re: X trying to load Nvidia kernel module from wrond directory

reboot?
uname -r?

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#3 2008-11-29 00:31:43

ghostHack

The kernel on the install cd is 2.6.25, the current kernel in the repos is 2.6.27, if you were following the beginners guide you will have done a pacman -Syu to update your system, this will have included the kernel update.  The nvidia modle in the repos is built against the 2.6.27 kernel, if you didn't reboot after the new kernel was installed then you are still running the 2.6.25 kernel so that is where xorg looks for kernel modules.

The only way to change the running kernel is to reboot the machine.  In your case you may need to run 'depmod' as root after you have rebooted if X still does not find the correct module.

#4 2008-11-29 05:18:41

sewerraccoon

I never even thought to reboot after updating. That's probably my problem. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Board footer