You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-29 10:25:53

Dome

Problems with gtk libraries?

Hi,
I installed arch and lxde on a Aspire one, but I have some problem with different software. The main example is the image viewer: gpicview crashes when I open an image (for a segmentation fault). So I installed Mirage to see if it's a problem due to only gpicview. I can start Mirage, but when I open an image from the open menu, it says that it can not load the picture and there is a small red "x" in the window right part for the image. So I tried with xzgv: it starts but the right part of the window remains always empty, while I can navigate in folders through the left part of the windows. Feh instead works. I have a similar problem with xsmbrowser: it starts but I can't interact with the buttons and text fields present in the windows.
Gpicview, mirage and xzgv use GTK libraries: may the problem be with these lib? They are installed but maybe something is missing...
May I need gtk-engine? I searched about but I found that it's used for the theme. Or it's necessary for any software based on gtk? But if it's necessary with gpicview (default viewer for lxde) why wouldn't it be already present?
Thanks for your help and attention.

#2 2008-11-29 10:34:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Problems with gtk libraries?

do you get any useful output when starting these programs from a terminal?

#3 2008-11-29 10:35:48

tomk
Forum Fellow

Run them in a terminal and check the output for errors. There's not much to work with in your post.

#4 2008-11-29 12:28:02

Dome

I started the applications through the terminal:
- mirage: the only message is a deprecation warming for the use of md5 instead of hashlib, but I think nothing important. No message added opening the image. I made a screenshot using mirage (giving a .png image) and it can open this. But when I try to open the other images (.pnm made with luvcview), it opens always this png screenshot (that is: if there are other images, opens those, else nothing). Remark: the preview in the open menu shows the effective pnm image.
- gpicview: it opens the png file but get the segmentation fault on the pnm
- xzgv: opens other images but pnm file doesn't exists for him
So I think it's likely a image format problem (but openoffice draw can open pnm).
- xsmbrowser tells that he wants the tcl version 8.5 exactly and not the 8.5.5 that I have. There is a 8.5.0 in the AUR, maybe I'll try removing 8.5.5 and installing 8.5.0.......
So there shouldn't be problems with gtk...

Moreover in dmesg now I have:
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
evdev.c(EVIOCGBIT): Suspicious buffer size 511, limiting output to 64 bytes. See http://userweb.kernel.org/~dtor/eviocgbit-bug.html
Maybe synaptics from google...I will verify...

Last edited by Dome (2008-11-29 12:34:12)

Board footer