You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-29 15:43:00

kaola_linux

Suggestion for buying Acer Aspire One 8gb?

Hello guyz, my father plans to buy me a notebook this christmas and I can't wait anymore...:P

Budget wise, he plans to buy me an Acer Aspire One 8gb...Would this be good enough?  It cost's 324.81 USD(15,900PHP) here on our local computer store.  I don't like its ssd storage though, due to its speed and limitations but there was a hack that it is possible to replace this ssd to a 1.8" HD.:)  Would this be ok?  I'm planning to install Arch Linux on it as soon as we can buy it.  smile

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by kaola_linux (2008-11-29 15:45:13)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#2 2008-11-29 23:46:06

Inkaine

Re: Suggestion for buying Acer Aspire One 8gb?

Good enough for what? Netbooks are no full laptop replacements. They got their limitations. Namely screen size (you can't even display some websites, e.g. online banking is unusable for me, some browser games don't look quite right) and computing power. So if you just want to use it as a secondary computer for traveling it's alright. For a primary one use it if web browsing, instant messaging and occasional word processing or music listening* is what you want. Otherwise better stay away to avoid dissapointments. wink

Also if "budget" is the main concern the 1.8" HDD is not really an option. They are rather pricey. It's cheaper getting the A150L instead. Just compare (prices from Germany, but doubt they differ alot in relation anywhere else): Toshiba 1.8" HDD 120GB 100€ + build in yourself** + voiding your warranty. The cheapest 1.8" HDD I found is a 60GB one for 60€.

I can just say I'm fine with the SSD speed but it's not my primary computer after all. I never compile anything on the AA1 but use a 32bit chroot on my desktop for that. Rather get a cheap external HDD if you really need the space. Getting a SDHC card as storage expansion for /home is kind of a "must-have" for linux anyways. tongue Prices for external drives and SDHC cars are ridicilously low nowadays. Really, don't bother for the SSD. I had my concerns about it at first as well but I now think I rather get a bigger and faster SSD later as prices drop instead of a HDD.

*Occasional only because the internal speakers are, well, of typical internal speaker quality big_smile
** Disassembling is possible but if you have never done that on another laptop the AA1 is a hard start.

#3 2008-11-30 01:31:16

wirenik

This doesn't answer your question, but in case you want a netbook with a bit more screen real estate, maybe have a look at the Dell Inspiron Mini 12. 549 USD and it comes with a 40GB HDD, plus you can customize the heck out of it.

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#4 2008-11-30 06:13:36

kaola_linux

Yup, I may agree netbooks are not that powerful.  But it is cheaper and handy.  Linux fits here especially Arch for it is light and fast...;)
I'd even used netbeans on my dad's eee pc 701 with 4gb ssd...:P  Well the one said by Inkaine made me realize that it's not bad to have ssd after all.  Thanks man!!!  One feature of acer aspire one is that tha 8gb can be expanded via another SD which you mentioned about...Guess I'll go for this device then, I'd love to have Arch Linux by my side everywhere I go...:lol:

Thanks alot

Last edited by kaola_linux (2008-11-30 06:16:14)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#5 2008-11-30 13:59:33

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

I've tried both the SSD + HD version and I'd definitely vote against the SSD. It's just way too slow - you'll notice the SSD constantly blocking your performance, whether it's browsing with firefox, opening apps, installing programs.. Whatever you do, the SSD will slow you down. If at all possible, go for the HD version.
(Disadvantages of the HD are noise + higher temperature.. also had to be said.)

Board footer