You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-30 21:39:47

SomeGuyDude

[SOLVED] Openbox broken, Synaptics doesn't work, X lags to start

THE SOLUTIONS TO EACH PROBLEM:

1) The "Rbg is not a valid variable" error, so I commented that out, and at least now I don't get the "fatal error: no screens found" problem. Obvious.

2) Synaptics no longer works. My cursor on my touchpad is agonizingly slow and I have no tap or scroll zones. There's a new set of instructions in the Wiki page. Use those (the hotplugging still doesn't work for me).

3) My openbox config files DO NOT LOAD. I tried to use obconf to change some settings and got a "error occured while trying to save /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml" which makes little sense given that... it shouldn't be aiming for root. Also, I have no background, and conky doesn't autostart despite being in my folders. I now have to use "xinit" instead of "startx".

4) Also, X takes forever to load on startup. Usually it was one or two screen "refreshes" where it would go black, then lit-up black, but now it's four or five. I just sit there watching the screen start and stop over and over before it finally starts. Above.

5) I've lost my alt+F2 tool, so now I have to start everything with terminal windows because I can't edit my OB menu and a whole slew of applications are missing from it. Once again, this came thanks to the "xinit" command.

My "middleclick" function is still missing, but I can deal with that for now.

Last edited by SomeGuyDude (2008-12-01 01:13:32)

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#2 2008-11-30 22:02:26

BKJ

Re: [SOLVED] Openbox broken, Synaptics doesn't work, X lags to start

Add me to the list of broken items:

1. Synaptics completely broken.
2. Evolution broken with this error:

evolution: error while loading shared libraries: libesd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[Update]
1. Fixing Synaptics was easy for me I just edited my xorg.conf and added this as an ServerFlags option:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

2. Fixing evolution/tsclient was easy as well.  Simply re-installing esound provided the missing lib.

Last edited by BKJ (2008-11-30 22:59:43)

#3 2008-11-30 22:06:58

SomeGuyDude

I'm honestly eyeing my Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD and thinking about switching back over until things get ironed out. I had errors over there and hated the bloated feeling, but I never had something go completely tits up like this.

#4 2008-11-30 22:13:57

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

theres several thread (5+) on solving the synaptics issue the right way (using hal) or the easy way (disabling hotplugging). the search button should bring up plenty of threads.

the missing background, missing alt-f2 tool, and broken openbox configs looks like you are loading openbox as root for some reason... maybe you started x from a root console session? or using "sudo startx" ? just a shot in the dark.

#5 2008-11-30 22:50:24

Hrod beraht

SomeGuyDude wrote:

Okay, I'm in full blown panic mode here.
The machine is nearly unusable.

If it's really that bad or you don't have time to troubleshoot it just now, how about just downgrading to the previous version?
If you haven't cleared your cache, the previous version should still be in /var/cache/pacman/pkg. Or, if you have cleared your cache, you can find the previous version here. Then do a pacman -U pkgname-olderpkgver.pkg.tar.gz.

As for the "error occured while trying to save /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml" problem, that's just plain odd and it's hard to see how xorg would cause that. Do you normally run Openbox as a normal user, or as root?

Bob

Last edited by Hrod beraht (2008-11-30 22:51:56)

#6 2008-11-30 22:52:40

b9anders

SomeGuyDude wrote:

I'm honestly eyeing my Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD and thinking about switching back over until things get ironed out. I had errors over there and hated the bloated feeling, but I never had something go completely tits up like this.

This is why you should keep a cache for downgrading packages.

Seriously, one borked upgrade isn't a major problem when you know how to undo it, whether it be major upgrades like this one or others. Why bother with 'you should know I never got this from distro X' posts? If you don't like arch enough, change. If you do, show a bit of willingness to resolve issues that might come up.

#7 2008-12-01 00:18:51

SomeGuyDude

Quick update: going back on Xorg somehow cracked my wireless, so I'm currently using a spare machine to type this. Synaptics is still broken and adding the lines to xorg.conf created an EOF error. I'm unsure if I feel confident enough to mess with HAL right now and do anything.

No, I didn't login using root, so why Openbox was broken with the new Xorg confuses the balls off me. That DOES work with the downgrade, however. Machine = rather broken. I'm stuck.

As for my "I never got this from X" post, look in my history. I never said that until now. This is a case where an upgrade caused a serious enough error that it concerned me about the maintenance of the packages. I don't mind having to fix something once in a while, but total system wreckage is more than I want to have to deal with.

EDIT: Wireless works again, but Wicd doesn't seem to want to connect. I'm starting to think both the new kernel AND Xorg muffed up on me. Attempting fallback now.

Last edited by SomeGuyDude (2008-12-01 00:26:15)

#8 2008-12-01 00:26:46

moljac024

Do you have xf86-input-evdev installed ?

Have you tried disabling hot-plugging by adding this to xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

Sorry, I just now saw that you had a problem with this.
Did you try to load the old version of X with this in the config file ?
Have you tried running X without a config file? You could just do a "mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup"

And how are you starting Openbox ? Do you use a display manager or not ?

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-12-01 00:28:07)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#9 2008-12-01 00:30:40

SomeGuyDude

I haven't loaded the old X with that in the config file, no. Should I? (EDIT: that didn't work either)

I'll try the "no config file" thing, but wouldn't that, y'know, completely get rid of my touchpad?

I run openbox from the CLI with 'startx'.

Last edited by SomeGuyDude (2008-12-01 00:33:56)

#10 2008-12-01 00:35:32

moljac024

SomeGuyDude wrote:

I haven't loaded the old X with that in the config file, no. Should I?

No smile

SomeGuyDude wrote:

I'll try the "no config file" thing, but wouldn't that, y'know, completely get rid of my touchpad?

It shouldn't, just try it.

SomeGuyDude wrote:

I run openbox from the CLI with 'startx'.

Can you share you .xinitrc and your .autostart.sh ? What's not working right ?
Because openbox works the way it has here....

Oh, and just for the fun of it, try xinit instead of startx and see if there is a difference.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#11 2008-12-01 00:39:47

SomeGuyDude

.xinitrc

#!/bin/sh
eval `cat .fehbg` &
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#
# exec xterm
# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# exec icewm
pypanel &
(sleep 2 && ./.startconky) &
exec openbox
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox
# exec ratpoison
# exec dwm
# exec awesome
# exec wmii
# exec xmonad
# ... or any other WM of your choosing ...

I don't have an autostart.sh file. Never made one. That a bad thing? hmm

However, I'll go out on a limb and upgrade again, then try starting with xinitrc instead of startx.

EDIT: starting with xinit is baaaad. For some reason, it eliminates my 96dpi setting, which obviously renders everything pretty unusable. sad

FURTHER EDIT: I got xinit working, but absolutely nothing gets Synaptics working. The hal file made my entire touchpad one giant scroll zone (helpful!), and if I use the "disable hotplugging" thing in the xorg.conf using the directions in the Wiki caused another error (that I'll print here in a moment).

Last edited by SomeGuyDude (2008-12-01 01:07:10)

#12 2008-12-01 01:29:36

SomeGuyDude

Well, as per my updated post, everything's MOSTLY fixed, I just don't have my tap zones any more. I'm not entirely enthralled with how that went down, but it's at least working again.

#13 2008-12-01 02:27:47

leo2501

hi! i see in your post that you had the same issues that i have

- Broken wireless connection
- broken X

i have a wireless connection that worked fine until i did this kernel update and now it "connects" to my essid but can't associate or something like that, when i restart the network it gives the following errors:

:: Stopping Network
SIOCDELRT: No such proccess

:: Starting Network
 > Could not associate wlan0 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check network is WEP or has no security
SIOCADDRT: No such process

and I  was able to get X running but my dwm session can't tile my urxvt's anymore

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#14 2008-12-01 02:30:12

SomeGuyDude

What I had to do was simply go through the steps in the ArchWiki article and kicked it off via the CLI, then it worked out after that.

#15 2008-12-01 04:49:45

Hrod beraht

SomeGuyDude wrote:

.xinitrc

exec openbox

Your ~/.xinitrc file should actually read exec openbox-session

Bob

#16 2008-12-01 05:39:50

SomeGuyDude

What difference would that make, exactly? I mean, it's worked just fine so far, is there something I'm missing because of that syntax difference? If there is, I'mma feel like a dope.

#17 2008-12-01 15:40:17

Hrod beraht

SomeGuyDude wrote:

What difference would that make, exactly?

exec openbox-session in your ~/.xinitrc runs the /usr/bin/openbox-session script which not only starts Openbox but also runs the autostart files:

~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
/etc/xdg/openbox/autostart.sh
/usr/bin/openbox

The default /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart.sh runs a number of things with Openbox.

You can also run it using xinit: xinit /usr/bin/openbox-session

Bob

Last edited by Hrod beraht (2008-12-01 15:43:09)

Board footer