You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-01 20:48:17

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

requesting an update to a package?

Hello all.  I'm a recent LINUX convert and have been running Debian for a little while.  The concept behind Arch is very appealing to me and also, the speed at which packages are updated is too smile  I am in the process of installing 2008.6-X86_64 now and was looking at some of my favorite software in the arch repo when I noticed that the handbrake package is a little dated and am wondering if requesting an update is possible?  I don't think I'm LINUX savvy enough yet to make my own at this point.

Thank you for the replies!

Last edited by graysky (2008-12-01 20:49:34)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2008-12-01 21:20:32

sand_man

Re: requesting an update to a package?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS
Using ABS is the best way to get an up to date package.

I don't think I'm LINUX savvy enough yet to make my own at this point.

It's really easy to use. Just read that wiki article and you will be compiling your own packages in no time smile

[edit]
I just checked the PKGBUILD in abs and it is the same version as what is in the repos. If you are sure there is a newer version, you just need to change the version number in the PKGBUILD:

Last edited by sand_man (2008-12-01 21:23:11)

neutral

#3 2008-12-02 02:45:36

mcmillan

The way to let the devs know a package is out of date is to flag it on the package description page you linked to, looks like it's already been done for handbrake, so the devs should have gotten notice already.

I just checked the PKGBUILD in abs and it is the same version as what is in the repos.

The abs will just have the PKGBUILD files for the same things that are in the repos, there's no reason to expect a newer version to be there than the official package, but you just need to change the version number to the newest one. If there aren't huge changes it should still build without any problems. Like sand_man said, the wiki should give you an idea of what it takes to build a package, it really isn't hard at all.

#4 2008-12-02 05:55:54

dsr

graysky, try something like this PKGBUILD:

# Contributor: dsr <dsr at archlinux dot us>
pkgname=handbrake
pkgver=0.9.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="HandBrake is a multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter"
arch=('i686' 'x86-64')
url="http://handbrake.fr/"
license=('GPL')
groups=()
depends=()
makedepends=('gtkhtml>=3.14')
provides=()
conflicts=()
replaces=()
backup=()
options=(!makeflags)
install=
source=("http://download.handbrake.fr/handbrake/releases/HandBrake-$pkgver.tar.gz")
noextract=()
md5sums=('ee79c94b5acd68f28351ba2704b4d55d')

build() {
  cd "$srcdir/HandBrake-$pkgver/"
  make || return 1
  cd "$srcdir/HandBrake-$pkgver/gtk/"
  ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr || return 1
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" install
}

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:

I don't have access to a 64-bit machine to test it, but it should work fine. I have no clue what dependencies you'll need other than gtkhtml though.

Assuming that the PKGBUILD works fine and assuming that `/usr/bin' is in your $PATH, you can run the HandBrake GUI by typing `ghb' from the command-line, or you can run the HandBrake CLI by typing `HandBrakeCLI'. Enjoy!

#5 2008-12-02 16:04:18

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

graysky wrote:

Hello all.  I'm a recent LINUX convert and have been running Debian for a little while.  The concept behind Arch is very appealing to me and also, the speed at which packages are updated is too smile  I am in the process of installing 2008.6-X86_64 now and was looking at some of my favorite software in the arch repo when I noticed that the handbrake package is a little dated and am wondering if requesting an update is possible?  I don't think I'm LINUX savvy enough yet to make my own at this point.

Thank you for the replies!

You could always send an email to the maintainer of the package, since it's already flagged out of date.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2008-12-06 14:02:21

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Mr.Elendig wrote:

You could always send an email to the maintainer of the package, since it's already flagged out of date.

I'd like to but all I get is the guy's name, no email addy on the archlinux package webpage (James Rayner).  Is there another query to get an email addy?

Last edited by graysky (2008-12-06 14:03:12)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#7 2008-12-06 14:05:23

Allan
Pacman
Website

#8 2008-12-06 15:49:08

dsr

You can just /msg him on freenode. His nick is iphitus. In the meantime, just use my PKGBUILD.

Board footer